I see the Forge is strong with you. (I got the email)

Thanks for the reply. I have some 4 inch dust collector fittings but I suspect that they require a longer engagement length to tighten the tapers than the GF can provide. I don’t have my GF yet so cannot check them out. Just trying to get prepared for my GF arrival, hopefully soon.

I recall sliding the end of the hose over the flange gave me the most trouble. The end of the hose wasn’t a clean cut and was torn somewhat, so I had to slide three ribs onto the flange as well. That the hose seemed to be slightly smaller diameter than the fitting didn’t exactly endear me to it, but it was so tight I figured the clamp was just for looks. I used a worm drive clamp. Never attempted the spring clamp.

Here’s one.

2 Likes

Narrow end measures 4 in. O.D. and 3-49/64 in. I.D. to fit inside 4 in. PVC pipe
Large end measures 4-7/32 in. O.D. and 3-31/32 in. I.D. to connect to 4 in. O.D. fittings

Please, it’s late and I’ve switched to metric. What does this mean?

Will it work on a Glowforge? It seems like it might fit over the outer flange

The large end fits over the GF flange and the small end fits inside the dryer hose. They’re standard sizes.

1 Like

Do you use one of these?

1 Like

I have a similar one that was designed for pellet stove pipes. But I figured Home Depots are more ubiquitous than stove shops and they don’t need to be metal for the GF.

I’ll grab one of these though and report back since I guess the 3D printer capability is probably no more common than stove shops :slightly_smiling_face:

Ordered it from Amazon - my HD doesn’t have it in stock. Will have it this weekend.

2 Likes

Did this end up working? I’m on a leak solving hunt and it’s boiling down to having to extend something like this from the back of the glowforge. There’s just not enough room there to get a good seal.

One of the ones I got did & one didn’t. Unfortunately I don’t recall which was which. I switched to the Rockler dust collection ones (about the same price - available from Rockler directly or from Amazon). They have both a straight one (comes 2 to a package) and an elbow version. What I prefer about the Rockler ones is that the end that goes over the GF’s outlet is a flexible rubber so it’s easier to make a good seal. They’re about the same price (if you have Amazon Prime for free shipping).