I think I found my Glowforge table

That plate will be great for layout!

1 Like

That’s what the Wazer is for. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looks like you already ordered one, but my advice would be that if you get something small enough for people to easily sit on top of it, make sure it is strong enough to survive such a thing, as it will surely happen eventually.

3 Likes

Yep, got it assembled and all ready for a Glowforge. Thanks for the advice! It’s just me and my husband, and it’s supposed to handle 300 lbs, so I’m hoping there will be no issues. I might forge a warning sign as one of my early projects. Or fill the remaining space with flotsam and jetsam to make it uninviting for seating. That shouldn’t be a problem!

4 Likes

Working on my table design, and even did a quickie GF model to boot. Sides of the table are 2"x6", legs are 4"x4". There are braces surrounding the legs up inside the frame, and the metal sits in a routed groove, flush with the edge and sitting on the top of the legs/inner frames, as well as a cross-brace under the middle of the table. The metal will not be physically attached to the table.

My Fusion 360 skills are moving along. I’m trying to figure out the whole “joint” thing with this design, and I was hoping to create an animation moving from an exploded view to the completed project.

This is all well and good, but I need to actually start making things in real life too as opposed to just modeling them, and the good news is that I don’t need the Forge to make the table, and now I know exactly what materials I need. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I’ll be able to build this thing!

16 Likes

Cool! I like the way you incorporated that nice sheet of metal you scavenged.

4 Likes

Looks good, a lower shelf to store materials would be great addition.

3 Likes

That thing will be as strong as a jack-stand! Nice.
Gravity will do a fine job of keeping the metal insert in place.:thumbsup:

2 Likes

Yeah, to steal a favorite, “that’s in the hopper”. A shelf with some vertical racks and maybe a couple of drawers.

2 Likes

Mine is going in the garage so I went the cheap utilitarian route.

15 Likes

I’m starting to feel like I need to get the glowforge a fancy table/pedestal so it feels at home and a celebration of finally here. If only I had a Glowforge to cut out a welcome home banner.

5 Likes

That looks a lot like the counters I have in my office. Mine are not quite deep enough if I use a single.

1 Like

One thing I really like about the glowforge is that it has flat areas on the top. I am constantly piling crap on my Chinese laser while I’m working with it (small pieces and scrap from what was cut). Being sloped though, it can only take so much before a landslide happens lol

5 Likes

A friend of mine just bought this:

Right away I thought that a Glowforge would look really good on it. There is a bamboo version too.

7 Likes

This one is 24" so it’ll just be deep enough.

1 Like

Note that the 24" depth includes the 4" tray on the back, so the top is only 20" deep.

2 Likes

Good catch…

Nevertheless, it is still wide enough. The forge will only slightly hang over the sides, and the runners under the forge will sit entirely on the table top. I bought the 4’ version of this for $100 when it was on sale.

1 Like

I stumbled across my Glowforge desk at an estate sale this past weekend! It’s an Ikea model that must be out of production as I can’t find it on their site. It measures 32"x63" and has a nice thick glass top. The best part, the legs are adjustable in length by a twist and a pull or push. I was able to set the height to just fit the dresser I am temporarily using for material storage (does not match our aesthetic and will eventually be donated).

I have decided to locate the Glowforge directly behind my home office desk so that I can easily monitor for safety and convenience. It also will work well for venting with the window right there.

17 Likes

Adjustability is a big plus!
Cool idea for material storage.

3 Likes