I think I found my Glowforge table

How do you think the height would be without the casters but with a filter?

I think the top of the GF would be an inch or two higher than with casters and no filter.

3 Likes

I haven’t assembled it yet, but the specs say it’s 37" tall with the casters. I did order the filter so it might be better without the casters for that reason.

Thanks
edz

1 Like

I have a basic without a filter.

Not to be weird or anything, but @chadmart1076 how tall are you and your wife? I like tall counters as I’m 6’ and He is 6’4"
I’m just trying to figure is 37" is a teensy bit tall for me.

2 Likes

Hah! No worries. I’m 5’9" and she is a bit shorter.

1 Like

I just eyeballed that height (autonomous desk), and with the 8 1/4’ on top, It still seemed comfortable to me (I’m 6’).
It will give you a comfortable view of the work in progress. Seemed almost perfect to me.

2 Likes

I sold my XCarve and that freed up a ton of space in my tiny garage. Now I can move my toolchest and put the GF where that was, which will allow me to vent right out a wall vent to the yard.

The kicker is that it’s in-between the garage door & an exterior door and that space is 41". If I can’t find something at IKEA that will work there, I might build a wheeled stand for it out of aluminum T-slot.

3 Likes

Someone else posted a table top from Ikea a short time back, (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00251135/) I believe he used the straight non-adjustable legs, while I opted for the ones with casters so I can roll the table into a corner when not in use. I also followed his lead by picking up the Drawer unit to store materials under the table (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10192824/). My local Ikea was out of the legs so all I have at the moment is the table top (very light) and the drawer unit and casters, but the legs are due in the end of the month and it’s be 6 more before I have my GF to put on it anyway.

2 Likes

I picked up the same table yesterday with the legs @karaelena had posted. Looks like it’ll be a really comfortable height.

1 Like

Possible lightweight, easily portable table option for under $100. Rated to support 1,500 pounds.

This won’t work for my needs but I thought I’d throw it out here in case it’s helpful to someone else.

http://www.woodpeck.com/centipedepws.html?_bta_tid=080577223576000619741452060618248252915736158000760655480901724621132761402537154289947&_bta_c=ahtnssrhtmemp52yzoi1mnlgbfnla

17 Likes

Oh wow! That’s kind of amazing! People make everything with those structures. First it was just a camping chair, then it became a rocking chair, then a love-seat, a cot, a couch…and now this!

3 Likes

I like it! I like it a lot! :smile:

2 Likes

Home Depot and Lowes sometimes has them too.

Oh, and Amazon too. Here’s the sawhorse version (1500lb), they also have the tool version (3000) lb.
https://www.amazon.com/Centipede-Tool-K100-Expandable-Portable/dp/B00T8ABQIS/ref=pd_sbs_469_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y8YJHC14XK3SE1TAWGHJ

11 Likes

Has anyone here actually used one of these? I know the chairs and tables made like this are great for portability, and will hold the weight they are rated for, but I would not call the ones I have “sturdy”. My camping table, even with the table surface joining the four upper corners of the foot-structure, has a fair amount of sway if you apply any force from the sides rather than the top.

7 Likes

Disclaimer: I’m not a mechanical engineer, but… judging / thinking about the beam support and interlinkage of those designs, I think that the more downward weight you put on them the better they are for resisting lateral motion.

Maybe someone more professional can weigh in.
(Sorry, I couldn’t resist…):laughing:

3 Likes

12 Likes

I know ive posted this somewhere on here before, probably multiple times, but if youre looking for sturdy and easy, this is what I, and a number of my friends have, and its been like a rock:

12 Likes

Similar to @takitus link, or if for whatever reason you’re plastic-averse… these are almost 25% cheaper…

5 Likes

Those Simpson strong-ties are what I used to build my layout table, but I just bought the pieces I needed at Home Depot.
It will take a bit more work than the plastic leg kit to get everything leveled out just right, but if you have a tape measure and a helper it is easy. I managed by myself and a bunch of clamps, but it was a bit awkward. The upside is that you can choose the perfect table and shelf height just for you.

4 Likes

Well that’d also be assuming that the floor is level as well, and that’s something which the plastic legs will have a problem with. :smiley: If you do all the legs at the same time and measure carefully, leg height adjustment screws (not included) would take care of the rest, I’d think.

2 Likes