Icosahedron

Just gorgous! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Spoken like a true brother. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You’d better get 'forging, 'cause I just finished my next one – dodecahedron!

4 Likes

You are so generous with your designs–thank you! I love the painted celtic one.

1 Like

Cool! Another color of acrylic maybe? Engraved??

1 Like

So many ideas, so little time!

Right now I’m torn between building new shapes or improving / prettifying existing ones. It’s like a new addiction within an addiction!

3 Likes

I stayed up 'way too late playing with polyhedron designs. Here’s icosahedron with her little brother dodecahedron.

IMG_2901

Things I’ve learned so far:

1. Putting cutouts on the sides helps to disguise the finger joints (but I still want to do some layering and try some classier-looking embellishments!).
  2. A cutout big enough to work a finger or long thin scrap of plywood through can help with assembly, when it comes time to wiggle that last piece into place.
  3. Fairy lights look better behind frosted acrylic.
  4. This rabbit hole is pretty much endless.
16 Likes

Love the little brother.

3 Likes

One of my friends I showed this to suggested putting rice paper on the inside to diffuse the light

4 Likes

That would be beautiful! I think you’d definitely have to loosen up the finger joints, though, as that wouldn’t give you any way to poke your fingers in to wiggle a stubborn connector into place.

2 Likes

Now this brings up the question, can you engrave rice paper? :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I’ve seen some impressive-looking photos of engraved vellum – probably somebody out there has tried rice paper! I’d go looking, but my Physical Terrorist awaits… :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

My two favorite shapes! :heart_eyes: :star_struck: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Is that celtic thingy on the first one an inlay?

1 Like

No, just scored and painted. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You have a steady hand…

1 Like

Thanks! Maybe not as steady as it once was, but I still do okay! The scoring helps, too – the ink/paint doesn’t tend as much to get away from you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Running a pin through the score after painting also helps clean up any paint that built up in the line and gives a cleaner look.

3 Likes

… or better yet - use snapmarks, and re-score after painting! :smiley:

1 Like

:disappointed: Easy for you to say! Not everyone is so lucky yet.

1 Like

That wouldn’t work for me, anyway. Paint and re-score and THEN assemble? No way I have that kind of patience; I have to BUILD IT NOW! :wink:

2 Likes