Icosahedron

I was (repeatedly) inspired by @evansd2 last year to try my hand at polyhedra (here’s just one little example) , but it turns out, it’s been a REALLY long time since I took trigonometry…:roll_eyes:

I had some false starts and the project kept getting pushed aside for other things. Then @pubultrastar went and upped the ante with his Icosidodecahedron, and I had to try again. With a little help from this table of polyhedron dihedral angles I finally managed to create my very own icosahedron.

(PG medium draftboard, colored with Uni Posca oil markers)

I chose to have the connectors on the inside rather than on the edges, with an outer layer of triangles glued on top to hide their “fingers.” Here’s how it looked without the extra triangles:

And on the inside:

Now I’m trying to think up some cool triangular artwork for the next one…because of course there has to be a next one. :slight_smile:

Here’s the basic design file, for anyone else who’s trying to get started making their own polyhedra:

Icosahedron-plain

And here’s the Celtic thingy I used to decorate it:
Celtic%20Triskele

Show me what you make with it!

128 Likes

Love it! (Particularly the connectors, which look a hell of a lot easier than screws!)
Two thumbs waaaay up! :+1::+1:

8 Likes

Screws are daunting. First, you have to put pants on. Then you have to go to the hardware store and make decisions and stuff. And then not lose any, or you have to do it all again. It’s way too much work!

27 Likes

I drop 'em, and the damned things roll behind the desk…every.single.time. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

I love the Polyhedra lately and I love your connectors. It would be cool to light it somehow from the inside. I was thinking the connectors would block the light. But wait what if they were acrylic? They would act like light pipes to light the top plates (if they were acrylic too).
If I give it a try, I will certainly be sure to post the results.

Terry

6 Likes

Ooh, I was thinking of a version with openings in the inner plates and then acrylic top plates, but your idea has me intrigued!

2 Likes

I would love to see it!

Okay, I’ll work on it and you work on yours and then we’ll both get to see it both ways. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looks awesome. I like the connectors!

2 Likes

I haven’t been to an actual store in years… Ask the internet, and the internet provideth.

1 Like

Thank you so very much!

1 Like

But then you have to know what to call them! At the hardware store, I can put on my “helpless girl” face and there’s always a nice man who will help me find the right kind. Or 3 nice men, if I show up with a list of a bazillion parts for a pending 3D printer upgrade. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I know how to USE stuff, mostly. I just don’t know the names of any of it. Probably because during my formative years I could just rummage through my dad’s shop to find whatever I needed, so I didn’t have the hardware store shelf labels to tell me what I was looking at!

9 Likes

I’m not sure if you know how the internet works, but there are tons of men who will help you find what you need. Can’t guarantee that they are nice, but they would definitely flock to the helpless girl.

4 Likes

Holy cow… is that the secret? (I’ve been doing it wrong, all wrong. For years. Shoot!) :smile:

7 Likes

Round Two!

Underway:

Base layer done:

Now I can’t decide whether I’ll like it better with the acrylic on, or should just leave it the way it is! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

24 Likes

I like it without, but you could always inlay the acrylic…

2 Likes

Now I have to figure out what to do with 20 red acrylic triangles! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing! I suggest putting numbers on the sides, from 1 through 20.

2 Likes

If you haven’t already thought about this, that looks like it would be an amazing hanging lamp :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, that’s pretty! Ugh, my must-make-one list is getting longer, and it’s mostly your fault.

3 Likes