Ideas for the hopper

Thanks - is that the same as this?

Looks like a neat concept that is new to me. So much technology, so little time .

Yep. That’s the same. I think that’s what Jacob was referring to. I didn’t look at Wikipedia - figured you were thinking it was just the acronym. The IFTTT recipes allow you to link activities and triggering events. If the GF can create signals that can be redirected to the IFTTT site (for things like “job start” “job stop” etc) you could then generate a bill for the time used automatically. Or his other example was using it to automatically start & stop a fan in your exhaust line when the job starts & ends so it’s not always running whenever the GF is running (like it would if you put it on a single power strip) and only runs when you’re actually cutting. You could include a delay - say 15 seconds - after the job ends before the power to the fan is cut so it clears any remaining fumes from the box before you opened it.

1 Like

Oops, forgot a T. Yes, I meant the platform IF This, Then That. A very useful and remarkably basic concept.

Guess it has been shortened to “IF - Do”…

Where is the registration for the whips and chains?:smile:

2 Likes

Those are kept in the dungeon…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

No worries, that sort of thing happens way too often to me so I tend to recognize the symptoms.

Woke up in the middle of the night last night with this idea in my head and for all I know its already in the works.

A way for the GF to identify the size and shape of the material and then feed the GF a large list of SVGs that need to be cut and have the GF fit as many on the material as possible and then once that sheet is used up the GF prompts you to put a new sheet in and it continues.

2 Likes

Ideal multi-job packing would be nifty.

If you do this by uploading many SVG at the start, and inserting materials one at a time after…

This would require that the largest possible jobs to fit on the material be prioritized, since any future piece may be too small for that job. Since at every step you are optimizing for “get largest first” instead of “use all material” this means that 100 jobs across 20 odds and ends pieces would wind up actually being rather inefficient.

So, if you want absolute optimization for material use, you would need to scan in all material and load all SVGs, run optimization nesting, then proceed to re-enter each piece that did have a cut assigned to it.

Even just the first method would be quite nice, since it could pack in some small parts here and there that the human eye may not have accounted for, and do rotations to fully optimize material consumption. The second option would be time and computation intense, but VERY nice.

3 Likes

Oh yeah. Some good points. I like the idea of being able to log multiple pieces of material and having it be able to figure out the best configuration!

If you were willing to accept some constraints (e.g. “if you leave off these pieces you can fit all the rest”) it would be pretty nice. Or with use you’d simply learn about the kind of job that tended to break the optimizer.

I would really want software like this to work with concavities and interior waste, because that frees you up for thinking about designs you wouldn’t to otherwise. And computing cycles are probably something we’ve got plenty of. (Someone who knows their way around GPUs could probably leverage clipping and collision detection routines to make this happen faster than we think.)

1 Like

An added wrinkle would be designating which parts of a cut were keepers vs discards. Then smaller parts the would fit in an otherwise scrap remnant could be placed inside the discard cuts.

1 Like

I just have ideas of all this extra automated packing ending up for me like taking 3 different jigsaw puzzles throwing them in one box and giving it a thorough shaking.

1 Like

While we’re blue-skying, I vote for button mode, where any smallish circular/oval cutout that’s not otherwise occupied gets engraved with something interesting.

4 Likes

@dan can a external inline air blower be attached to the hose? I feel this would greatly relieve the fumes and HEAT, from the glowforge to a window source. Nice to have and better if it were an option GF provided as a extra.

Yes, @dan has said that if you are going more than 8’ then a booster fan is recomended.

Many questions have already been answered in the forums. There are also many great inspiration projects and information on beta units undergoing use.

A simple search can really bring up alot of great info. :slight_smile:

Also, I’d personaly rather glowforge focused on delivery rather than accessories.

1 Like

Definitely, a booster’s no problem. You’ll find that the airflow is plenty fast, and all it needs to do is keep up.

1 Like

That’s great to hear. Can’t wait until mine arrives. I have a nice little workshop all set up for it😀. How’s production going anyways? Still on track with the shipment date?

I might have a solution to your heating issue. A little of my background I have 20 years refrigeration experience and license and certified 5 degrees for HVaC. My idea would be cheap and effective for a cooler system. Allowing the GF To operate in warmer climates. Basically allowing the system to always stay near 65 degrees.

2 Likes