If a bair #@*! In the woods, should you hug it?

Unless you are in the medical field, you are probably unfamiliar with 3M’s bair huggers, not to be confused with bear huggers (generally missing some limbs) or bare huggers (get a room!). These are sort of billowy blankets that provide diffuse heating to chilled patients. We frequently use the after surgery. And like any 3M product, yeah the hose connector is unique and pricey.

But what about in veterinary use? The patient is in a cage and the hose means leaving the cage door open a few inches (it’s more of a cubby then). Some guy on Amazon sells a hose connector that’s 3d printed and hooks on the bars but that basically blows the air like a hair dryer instead of the magical blanket. For that you need a connector inside as well. And since every cage has a different bar pattern, well you just learn to hate humanity. So the solution? I made a cad model the hose locks into (that is prusament PETG printed on my XL) and then I cut 5mm EVA foam as a seal on the Glowforge and used contact cement to attach it. Worked quite well. Next iteration, I’m getting flat EVA (this was rolled)so when it cut it popped up. The two halves clamshell through the bars with M4 screws with captive M4 nuts on the other side.

I used extra screws to locate it before pressing the contact cement together.

39 Likes

Outwitting proprietary parts FTW!

11 Likes

I want one of those warm air blankets just for everyday use :sweat_smile: Such a great way to deal with the different mesh patterns of cages!

9 Likes

I occasionally clean those as a CRCST. How or why nurses decide to get blood up and down those hoses and under the locking ring on the units……SMH.

I wonder if the CA dog grooming lady on YouTube uses something like this for her drying cages.

7 Likes

Nice!
I was in the ER last year (broke 3 fingers in half. Oops!) and became an instant fan of the Magic Blanket.

6 Likes

I’ll bet a warm environment like that is a wonderful thing for a groggy dog or cat. That’s such a great solution to the cage variations.

5 Likes

That is such an awesome solution. Your wife’s vet practice has really benefited from your laser and 3D printing skills.

6 Likes

It’s wonderful how you can make something that is much needed by yourself! I’m sure it took some time to do, especially the 3D printing, but being able to make something so useful at home sure beats having to buy it every time you need another one. And now you have the setup to do it all! Great job!

2 Likes