I'm gaining confidence!

As most of you know, I’m not very good making my own designs. I had previously made one of the 72 pen/marker holders from the GF Catalog, but I needed one to hold 83 pens. I didn’t want extra holes, which I have a whole line of on the 72 one for one set of my pens. So using the same style, I tried making my own from scratch - and surprise, surprise, it actually turned out!

But I did have to make it twice, because on this first one, although I had the length of the sides correct, I forgot to adjust for the thickness of the board, so my wood piece was too thin. Then I tried a piece of my thick acrylic, and it worked perfectly! So I got it all put together, put all my pens in and…oh dear, one hole short! Ugh! I though I could use my dremel to just make another hole, but the drill bit wouldn’t reach the second board (hence the tiny hole in the lower right corner).

So I made it again, this time adjusting for the width of the boards for the sides. I made it just a fraction too narrow, but with just a very minute amount of sanding, it fits nice and snug. And this time I remembered the missing hole!

Pens are all nice and secure now. I like it sitting on its side so I can see the colors. Plus isn’t there something about they should be stored sideways instead of upright? At any rate, I am now a happy camper, and feeling more easy about designing things I need.

More things I’ve made this last week. The bookmarks are leather and for me, the keychains were for a customer.

Now I’m working on a cutting board for our neighbors. Have I said how much I love having a GF, and this community? I do!!

37 Likes

I need to make a better pen holder too. I can’t count how many times i got tired of looking for what i need and just dumped everything out on my desk. It’s on my things to do list. The keychains look great! I love the layered colors! Are they painted or just multiple layers of colored acrylic?

7 Likes

The keychains are colored acrylic. I did find, because of the style of font, that I was afraid of it breaking if the initials got knocked around, so I cut them out of thin clear acrylic as well, and then just pieced it together. The only one that doesn’t have clear is the red/white/blue one. (That’s my favorite!) I had to make sure to use a large piece of transfer tape on top before I removed anything from the crumb tray so I wouldn’t loose any of the tiny pieces. That was a pain, and very time-consuming to do. But it all worked out, and had she not been a regular customer, I doubt I’d do this method again, at least with the swirly font.

I know you can see the 3M tape on the clear pieces, but my customer didn’t care about that at all.

3 Likes

my Daughter’s attitude would be if I have more marker holes than markers. I will just get more markers.

4 Likes

Good excuse to make another one to fit! :smile: Although right now, I do have the extra 82-hole one! :rofl:

3 Likes

Cutting board is done! Happy with how it turned out. I hope they like it.

13 Likes

This is a great looking and practical build

• nice!!!
3 Likes

Some nice work!!! Always good to have our markers corralled!

3 Likes

All of these turned out lovely. I like the monogram keychains best!

2 Likes

I dig the marker holder, nice!

1 Like

Very nice job on that marker holder! Don’t you just hate it when marker manufacturers make non standard set sizes? Or even worse, when they issue a set then a considerable time later they issue new colors, one at a time… (I think someone should give a stern talking to Tim Holtz, I had my ink pads all organized before he did that.)

3 Likes

I agree!! One set was 36 markers (fantastic!), but the other was 47. Talk about an odd number! And I just ordered a set of white/black markers because they get used the most. In fact, I have a set I colored the other night, but I can’t finish it until this weekend because I need the white marker and mine is totally empty. Wonder if I thinned down my acrylic craft paint (if needed) if I could just refill it? Hmm… that would definitely be cheaper than buying new markers all the time.

3 Likes