I'm Puzzled

My Canon Pro-2000 is running a couple of days behind but I really wanted to see what this beautiful piece of machinery could do in cutting a puzzle. The idea and desire to cut them has been brought up by a few people and a few people have also posted them right here on Made on a Glowforge, with some awesome traditional and not-so-traditional types. Pretty fantastic!

FedEx dropped off some chipboard for me last night (super thick stuff - about 0.102") so I busted out the mat cutter with the straight edge cutter and cut off a few chunks. Grabbed an old 8x10" print out of a pile and hit it with some spray adhesive. Print, Chipboard. Chipboard, Print. You’re now stuck with one another.

Plopped the new, happy couple on the bed of the Glowforge and fired away. Almost. I have a bunch of test cuts that I did before on bare chipboard but we won’t talk about those here.

Zip. Zap. Zing.

I think I’m going to have to invest in a puzzle breaker-aparter to move forward with this. The fit is incredible. The cut quality? Magnificent.

62 Likes

Oh, very cool. That chipboard makes an amazing puzzle!

3 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes

I’m going to sneak this in here… This was cut with no masking. And has no smoke stains on the photo paper at all :ok_hand::+1::muscle:

11 Likes

There are just So many possibilities with the combination of a photo printer and a :glowforge:!

4 Likes

Awesome! I’ve been hoping someone would try with an actual photo. Would you share your settings? Also what type of photo paper and adhesive?

Can’t wait to make a puzzle for my 3-year-old grandson, for some siblings, for my in-laws …

Awesome job!

1 Like

Ooooh! That’s some beautiful chip! I might have to rethink puzzles. :grinning:

Sure thing:

Since it discusses settings, I put a topic in Beyond the Manual:
https://community.glowforge.com/t/cont-im-puzzled-chipboard-and-photo-paper/11458?source_topic_id=11455

Let me know if you have any questions on it!

8 Likes

Thank you!!!

2 Likes

The :proofgrade: prototype MDF works extremely well for puzzles.

4 Likes

That looks really nice! I’m excited to see what you do with this machine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I loooove puzzles! Have an idea for one for a Christmas gift for my mother this year. While there this summer I took a picture of a painting she painted years ago. Figured I could make a ridiculously difficult puzzle out of it and put it in a plain brown box and see how long it takes her to figure out it’s her picture–that’s just how our family tends to roll :wink:. Sadly my Epson Pro 7600 is on it’s last legs nearly 14 years old now, so I’ll probably have to have the picture printed else where. Thanks for sharing, making me excited to get going!

7 Likes

Puzzling Indeed

If you can get a good scan of it, I’ll happily print it for you. The Pro-2000 (which will be here in an hour!) does 24" rolls so size shouldn’t be a problem. And it’s way cheaper. Cost is about 1/6th of what my pro lab charges me (with ink and paper).

5 Likes

Triple wow! This is absolutely radiant.