Incomplete cuts in Plaque from library

That’s a pretty good idea! Even when a Cameo can do the trick easily, been able to do the same on the GF, with an official cutting (glass) mat is a plus.

1 Like

I probably wasn’t clear here: the problem I haven’t seen is “if you cut the outside first and the inside second, you get worse results than the reverse”. That observation is just my personal observation on the (many) prints I’ve done. And it was in the context of “the outside/inside optimization is rarely helpful, so doing it automatically isn’t a priority for us, especially since you can do it manually”.

If you’re cutting paper, there is definitely a risk of airborne paper bits. UI control of air assist is already in the hopper.

19 Likes

sweeeeet

10 Likes

What? Those hearts look fantastic!

3 Likes

How fun to pick up/out all those cut out pieces that blew off. What lb. paper was that (seemed like 60 or less rather than a heavy cardstock - just curious) since some of those little cut outs really blew around. Nice job though and appreciate the videos !!!

1 Like

Shop vac =).

Was regular printer paper

5 Likes

We keep one of these on hand:
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-Cordless-Pivoting-PHV1810/dp/B003RWTKJA/ref=sr_1_10?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1487272030&sr=1-10&keywords=black+decker+hand+vac

I think there’s a newer, less expensive version too!

11 Likes

I hear you, but I dunno…
The cuts on the Narwhal card that I got from @smcgathyfay were so very clean!

29 Likes

Paper cuts very well on the laser. That was both cardstock and regular color copy paper

13 Likes

Dies are by far the best. :relaxed:

Since @smcgathyfay says that there isn’t any problem cutting copy weight paper with a laser, I’ll have to defer to her expertise. :wink:

We’ll find out later.

4 Likes

I’ll cut some tissue paper tomorrow for you @Jules to ease your mind…lol

9 Likes

I can second that. I cut a lot of paper on my k40, and it came out great. Its all about speed with lightweight paper.

4 Likes

Just one question, does yours have air assist at the nozzle? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I turn mine off to do paper…

8 Likes

Good. If we have the option to do that later, we shouldn’t have trouble with it either. :relaxed:

(I’m personally not going to count on us having that available to us out of the gate though. Not the highest priority, IMO. We can work around it if needed.)

3 Likes

I get what @jules is saying, though. For repetitive cuts especially, dies are way more efficient than lasers. You can cut through multiple layers without leaving a residue, there are some nice embossing effects you can do, I could go on. I’m certainly not planning on getting rid of any of my dies. On the other hand, there is a storage space issue, there are some things you can’t cut (or at least not easily), and it’s pretty expensive to have a die for every image. Where I expect the laser to shine in my papercrafting is cutting designs I have no die for, and one-off designs. After seeing first hand what a great job the Glowforge does in accurately tracing a design, I’m really excited about this use.

10 Likes

Laser should be a lot faster than the digital cutters too, so it has got that going for it. No broken blades, no snagging in the mat…hopefully no paper fires. ROFL! :wink:

6 Likes

One of the main reasons I bought my Glowforge was for paper cutting. I have a fantastic digital cutter, but the complexity of some of my paper designs is just too much for it. No matter how I fiddle with the setting, I sometimes tear big sheets of paper when the cuts are too complex. I’m really looking forward to that never happening again.

11 Likes

Yesssss…No more rounding tight corners in the design to keep from tearing the paper…it’s definitely growing on me. :relaxed:

I’ll find a way to make a mat work. (No flying paper bits with a sticky mat.)

Heck, you could make disposable sticky mats out of cereal boxes…that would be heavy enough to keep the paper from moving, and who cares if you cut it up?

8 Likes

Great idea @jules! I’ll be following your mat design adventures closely, for sure!

4 Likes