Infinite Garden jigsaw puzzle

Yes, it actually crosses over itself, with some hidden figures under the bridge.

A 625-piece puzzle, 28" wide, made of photo prints mounted on 1/16" plywood. Of course, to allow the bridge to hold together, the pieces had to be cut individually to get a snug zero-kerf fit.

54 Likes

Wow, great work. Working something like this out and getting to zero kerf is quite a process, impressive.

Care to talk about how you designed the puzzle with such an unusual shape?

Also 1/16” plywood is tricky to source, got a link to your supplier?

And lastly welcome back, 4 years months was a long time away! Curious about what else you’ve been making.

22 Likes

That looks really fun! What a unique puzzle! @evansd2 - 4 months, not 4 years. :rofl: But yes, @Purplie, good to see you back! Were you working on this puzzle that whole time?

16 Likes

Impressive work. Wonderful result.

16 Likes

The plywood is this (Amazon).

My original idea was a jigsaw in the form of a maze of thin twisty paths that would cross itself frequently. But playing with that idea, it didn’t seem very workable; it would have to be huge because the ramps and bridges need to be somewhat gradual for the pieces to stay together. So I decided to try it with just one bridge and a very simple path. Then it needed some context (surrounding landscape) to be less boring.

I’m no artist, so I used DALL·E to generate the path a section at a time, then to generate variations on flower photos and to join the sections seamlessly, then to generate the figures (lizard, faery, cat, etc.) in context. The styles of the elements were initially inconsistent, but applying an artistic “cartoon” filter solved that.

Hasn’t been quite 4 years, but thanks for the welcome! :slight_smile: I took a break from it after the Christmas project and tutorial. But now I’m working on some Civil War medallions, and some Civil War themed puzzles for a family reunion. (My father-in-law got really enthusiastic about an ancestor he found who fought in the Civil War.)

This Infinity puzzle was actually done last year, and I forgot to share it. I was still working on my technique, so there are a few flaws.

21 Likes

Omg this is why I shouldn’t post on the forum first thing. Four months.

I should take up coffee :wink:

14 Likes

This is amazing!

12 Likes

I have never seen a puzzle like this. I love it! Thank you for sharing.

10 Likes

Okay, that’s a cool puzzle!

12 Likes

That’s petty fantastic. Really nice work. You must have put a lot of time into that.

13 Likes

wow, this is amazing. great result for a first attempt

9 Likes

That’s gorgeous. I can’t even imagine kerf correcting for so many pieces!

12 Likes

Wow! Love that you made it to cross over. It’s a very cool puzzle.

11 Likes

I don’t recall exactly how much time it took. I think I played with the picture for a couple of weeks, then spent a few days on the cut pattern, and one day doing the physical construction and cutting (divided into 10 sheets, not counting redos).

11 Likes

This is way way way outside of the puzzle making norms.
Awesome concept and great execution.

12 Likes

Infinitely impressive.

8 Likes

Wow that’s fantastic

8 Likes

Most impressive, indeed. Both in concept and in execution.

Thanks for sharing it.

7 Likes

Wow! That is cool. An inspiration for sure.

9 Likes

This is so very impressive. I especially love the pathway tiles and the bridge cross-over!

7 Likes