Information on pre-release units

I recall a very old post saying DXF conversion was tricky (I took it to mean not all dxf files are created equally.) It wouldn’t be the first time a standard was implemented as a guideline by software manufacturers.

2 Likes

Waits for email impatiently. :wink:

11 Likes

DXF is an old standard so there are many official iterations out there as well as lots of opportunities for individual implementations to drift. For one of my lasers I have to use the 2000 version of Adobe’s DXF to have it come out right.

Not different for SVG by the way. Inkscape’s SVG is not the same as the standard SVG (be careful which you pick when exporting/saving). I operate in AI and Corel normally but teach laser & design classes using Inkscape and the interchange format version is the first thing I tell students to check if the CAM software doesn’t show the same result as the CAD software.

4 Likes

(climbing the walls)

24 Likes

I think the important question regarding the PRO’s…is simply, will they ship in December? Because based off of Dan’s message, it looks as though they don’t even have the hardware CLOSE to ready.

That’s a HUGE problem. Considering those of us who purchased the Pro did so at a much higher cost than the basic users.

4 Likes

Don’t think so…there’s this in the letter:

Done: SVG, PDF, PNG, and JPG compatibility. Print
from any major browser on desktop. Some tablet and phone support.
Convert most file types to be compatible with Glowforge software with
Inkscape.

To do: Bugs on tablet & mobile. Add support for many more file types.

4 Likes

I don’t see where that’s implied at all. He doesn’t address that at all. If 80% of the orders were Basics and 90% of the parts were common between the two and the software isn’t ready to support the Pro’s pass-thru slot (previously communicated that it would come after delivery), then it makes perfect sense to use Basics for the Pre-release. So there’s no real basis to infer anything from there not being any Pros in the pre-release.

Unless I’m missing something, @Dan didn’t say, nor imply and we can’t infer that the Pro hardware is not ready. (Yes, I’m a Pro buyer too.)

12 Likes

He said the pro hardware is “not released yet”. That indicates to me that the pro’s are not ready period. Regardless of the “pre-release” or the real launch. We’re technically at MOST only 30 days from actual shipping.

Which means they still need to be manufactured. Pro’s shipping this year don’t sound plausible at this point in the game.

2 Likes

Basics aren’t released yet either. There’s a pre-release of Basics coming but that’s not the same as inferring Pros are somehow not in the manufacturing pipeline too.

Regardless, I think the year end is in jeopardy for both Basic and Pro units - there’s just not enough time to do what seems to need to be done for any real volume shipping.

5 Likes

I’m so excited to hear that all the features I have been looking forward to are working now! Please send a laser my way :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s kinda the way things seem. I guess we’ll know better Friday.

2 Likes

I’m going to paraphrase what @dan has told us on the forum to save time:

The Pro units will ship at roughly the same time as the Basics, but they might not have full Pro functionality at the time that they ship.

The alignment software might not be ready by then…that’s what allows you to feed in large sheets of material and continue the design across the full sheet of material.

For those who ordered a Pro unit, you will have an option of:

1. Accepting shipment of the Pro Unit with the understanding that not all of the functionality will be ready at that time, and knowing that they will finish it up later.
  2. You may tell them that you want to wait to receive your unit when the software is finished.
  3. Or you can cancel your order and get your money back…
  4. Or downgrade to Basic and get part of your money back.

If you decide to accept the delivery, you will still have a more powerful machine than the Basics that are shipping, with improved cooling and speed. You will just not be able to do the big stuff right away.

Does that help? :relaxed:

15 Likes

And now I cannot stop checking my email…thanks! lol :grin:

6 Likes

This, I am sooooo excited about this!!! Thanks for sharing Dan!

23 Likes

Some photo-engraves in your future perhaps? :wink:

(Photos of Mumford, please…)

8 Likes

As a photographer… You know it!! :smiley: :smiley:

9 Likes

I can’t wait to see who gets these units and starts sharing their experiences.

7 Likes

It is my understanding that there are particular certifications required before shipping, so I wonder about the implications of “To do: Additional 3rd party certifications” and the potential for them to delay distribution.

Encouraging update, thanks Dan - and thanks to the team struggling to complete the task!

10 Likes

This is a great read, and it answers lots of questions that I didn’t even know I had! :squee::squeeee::squeee:

8 Likes

… WOW…

I’m… speechless and so excited I can hardly wait!!!

7 Likes