Inkscape alignment (was crop) handles?

Does anyone know what these new handles are supposed to do?

image image image

I checked and they were not in pre-1.x versions. I don’t recall seeing them on early 1.0 versions. They look like the universal symbol for crop, but I can’t get them to do anything. They appear on a third click after the usual scale and skew/rotate handles. Also on regular objects and paths, as well as imported bitmaps.

Nothing I can find in docs, or searching Inkscape community.

1 Like

They just look like larger more annoying versions of what was there before to size or skew/rotate the object.

These have not replaced the other handles. They are in addition-to, a third option.

1 Like

As I said in my post,

Nothing I can find in docs, or searching Inkscape community.

They are alignment handles.

Select several objects and click three times to get these markers.

Click the top, center - they will all align to the top
Click the bottom, right - the will align to the bottom right
Click the center - they will align to centre vertical

15 Likes

Aha! Very cool. Thx!

1 Like

That’s super cool, I was admiring that same feature about illustrator the other day and wishing I had it… But how do I get them to show up? I was using Inkscape nonstop this last week, and whenever I click on anything more than twice it brings up the nodes.

1 Like

I’m in 1.0 and don’t get them, but there is a 1.0.1 available…

Is there? I feel like I just got 1.0. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

1 Like

Ah, but it’s been 16 years since they released 1.0 in May of 2020!

1 Like

Has it? times really flies. :rofl:

2 Likes

Ah good looking out, installing now. I was still on 1.0

I’m not seeing it…was it a joke? I’m so confused! not enough coffee to think about it. Nevermind, foind it… I actually had to click the 1.0 link. :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, it’s weird looking…I feel like it’s like getting a new phone…I have to learn the features all over again. I’ll use the same functions, but need to figure out the different look.

2 Likes

It’s worth mentioning that you can disable those alignment handles if you don’t like them. Go to the alignment panel, and there’s an enable/disable button in the upper left.

You have to click three times.
If you are not seeing them, then check in the alignment panel whether the option is enabled.
This is a version 1.0+ feature - not in the earlier releases.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.