Inkscape or Illustrator: Combining Cut Lines?

Thanks for that. That’s pretty straightforward.

What I’m trying to do is make 1" x 2.8" rectangles with .25" rounded corners with shared cut lines on the sides and top.

I thought describing it as basic squares would be easiest.

Any ideas?

I’m not familiar with Inkscape or Illustrator, but in CorelDRAW, you would create a single square (with the rounded corners), then copy and paste a new one. Place them next to one another and align to top or bottom. Then select both and choose the weld function. I’m sure there is a similar function in each of those programs. Continue this until you have the number of squares you want in a line. Now copy and paste the entire first line of squares and move them below the first, align them, select both and weld. Repeat the steps until you have the size of grid desired.

1 Like

Create one, and duplicate. Lay them out, then use the node edit features to “delete segment between selected nodes”.

Edit a couple, then copy/paste.

1 Like

That’s cool. There appears to be no equivalent function in Inkscape that automatically removes overlapping path segments. The resulting combined objects/paths would have duplicate paths where they overlap, even though there appears to be only one on-screen.

I use it to weld text together.

There’s no function to magically do this in Illustrator. The nature of lines is that they’re continuous strings of anchor points and you can’t have say an Y or X shape of more than 2 segments attached to single anchor point.

To get what you want its’s a straightforward manual thing that doesn’t take long if you’re comfortable working directly with anchor points.

Either:

• arrange your rounded rectangles and then use the white arrow direct selection tool to select and delete the overlapping segments (use the cleanup tool to eliminate stray orphan anchors after)

Or

• make the appropriately needed segments only and duplicate them to get the qty finished rectangles you need.

Here’s an example https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kno7lxy11dooxj/paracordCinch%20mod.pdf?dl=0

As you lay the squares out, rounded corners and all, make sure they are paths and not objects with the lines overlapping you can go into node mode and grab a line and pull it out leaving the other behind. That curved line can be clicked on and use the Remove line between node

Here’s how I’d do it, two ways.

First: the corners, .25 radius or diameter? I am going to assume radius.

Method #1: The quick and dirty.

Make a grid, modify the x and y divisions to be the right size. I went for a 5x2 grid.

Now make a circle.

Convert it to a path.

Break that path apart. (select nodes, button upper left)

Now you have 4 separate arcs.

Rotate or rearrange them thusly and then (optional) rejoin the nodes. (I use rotate because control-[ / control-] is embedded in my brain for 90 degree rotation, but snapping them to each other is just about as easy)

Change snapping to snap centers, end nodes and intersections. make clones or copies and snap them into place. (you can speed this up using align tools)

Note the color coding, black goes first then blue. I’d probably adjust the colors so the little corner cutouts happen first. A nice red should do the trick. (operations are in order of color hex code, lowest to highest. Search the forum for “custom palettes” for more information)

Method #2: the maybe as quick and more elegant solution:

Make a rounded rectangle and convert it to a path.

Manipulate the path using the delete segment between two nodes feature that @rbtdanforth mentioned. You want to excise two edges like so:

Now copy/clone (clones are the best, get familiar with them, it’ll pay you back) and snap them together.

Copy and paste that row and snap it to your first row. Now all you need to do is the opposite of removing segments, joining selected end nodes with a line segment.

And you’re off. The biggest distinction between these two is probably cleanup. Method #1 will make a lot more fiddly little cutout bits. Method #2 is a bit cleaner and will leave 0.25x as many tiny bits (ok slightly less than 0.25x, but you get the gist).

5 Likes

Wow way above and beyond what I was expecting, thank you so much. I’ll give this a shot this afternoon.

2 Likes

You can do it in Adobe Illustrator. An oldie, but an invaluable tip!

3 Likes

How nice of you to take the time to work through this. Well done!!!

1 Like

So that’s what you use the outline tool for. Awesome!

1 Like

So this was bothering me and I’ve been hunting, I found this!

Install the removeredundant extension and it works! Only on earlier versions (I have 0.92.2), it errors out on 1.0…

Draw a box, round corners, make and align copies, select all, convert to path, then Extensions/Modify Path/Remove redundant edges.

(I moved them apart to show the result.)

I’m going to try and contact the author to see if they have updated for Inkscape 1.0.

2 Likes

It is pretty quick to do it in illustrator too.

Nice find.

I’ll be interested to see if they have or will update it.

Got a response:

I’m told that all Inkscape extensions will require an update to work
with 1.0.

Unfortunately, I haven’t really had a chance to touch the extension in
a while. Anyone who wants to take it over is welcome to do so, and
I’m happy to provide any help that I can, but that’s probably not very
much.

Best of luck.

The script doesn’t seem all that complicated, I wonder what “update” is needed to get it working in 1.0…

Edit: like I need another rabbit hole…

1 Like

Can also accomplish this using the Live Paint tools. I’ve had really good experience with how Live Paint stuff comes into the GFUI.

I stopped trying to do this because it seems I never really “finish” any of my designs, and once you break up the line segments like this, it’s really hard to come back and make changes in your design.

I decided I could wait a little longer for things to cut. The amount of material “wasted” is pretty trivial, and not really worth the trouble either. :wink:

Come over to the Illustrator side where this isn’t a problem :wink:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.