Inkscape Scaling properties

So there was a debate the other day about inkscape scaling and the way inkscape reads files from outside sources (illustrator for example). I took the time and researched how to fix it for both the scaling and the way that inkscape reads stroke width and made a video on the fix for it. I hope this helps some people out who were having the issue:

25 Likes

I am sure this will be helpful for many Inkscape users.

2 Likes

Bookmarked this for future reference. Thank you for taking the time to figure this out.

2 Likes

Thank you!! This is very helpful!

1 Like

Thank you, for taking the time to appreciate it

Thank you, I’m glad it could help.

Thank you, this is really helpful.

1 Like

Totally want to see if someone knows how to make document properties stick when they are changed. It is a pain having to change them every time you open inkscape.

1 Like

I agree with you there, and hopefully a way without just a saved document/template

1 Like

I bookmarked it too. Thanks.

2 Likes

You are always so helpful!!

1 Like

Glad I can help.

1 Like

Same!
Yes, Thank you! @wenning08

Actually that is the way to go. I just tried saving the set up as a template and checked the box to make that the default. It works. When I open inkscape now it is set to my 20" x 12" landscape orientation with all measurements in inches. Just what I wanted.

2 Likes

Nice

My newer version 1.1 sets the size at something like 25.400mm and rescaling is way off that way. I was told that was 1 inch however I was doing a test cut of a file I purchased and the slots that should have been set to cut (including kerf) a 3mm material was already measuring 3.167. I have fought with this file for a week (newbie here) and finally put it aside because I just don’t have time to re adjust a file that “600 other purchasers didn’t have a problem with”.

Not sure about 1.1 since it just released. I also only work in inches so might be different. You can try doing inches like I do in video, the once it’s correct just go back in and change to mm without changing values.

Do you know why it would be bigger? I am still a newbie even though I have had my GF for a year since I rarely have time to play. I am afraid to cut a design and have it not fit. I did the test slot and It was huge. The finger joints on the lid didn’t fit (too loose). I buy files because, again, I don’t have time to build them myself. I have made the adjustments to the slots but without cutting the body, how do I know if the finger joints on the body are accurate?

If the file you bought comes with a PDF file, just edit the pdf in your program so it locks in the correct settings for you automatically.
That video is all the research I did into inkscape. I usually only use illustrator.