Inlaid tissue box cover

I made this for my mom’s birthday (shhhh!) later this week – now I just have to figure out how to get it to her, with everything pretty much on lockdown. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s made from PG plywoods (cherry and walnut) and finished with tung oil.

The inlay design is from a quilting pattern that caught my eye. Adjusting it for kerf sprained my brain a little!

60 Likes

It’s really a wonderful piece!! I’m gonna have trouble keeping this a secret. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Such stunning work! :heart_eyes: such tiny fingers and perfect as well as stunning graphic.

5 Likes

Very pretty! I’m sure she’ll love it!

6 Likes

This is superb! If it’s even possible, you are just getting better and better.

5 Likes

Wow! She will love it!!! It’s gorgeous is the two woods, and the inlay is amazing!

5 Likes

Nice detail! Kerf is always a brain strainer! Well done!

4 Likes

Oh, gorgeous! Would have liked to be hovering over your shoulder while you figured out the kerf—I could really use a step by step tutorial.

Wondering about the tung oil (heh heh, autocorrect initially changed it to tuna oil) finish: did you sand the surface of your Proofgrade? Because I wouldn’t think you could get the oil to penetrate otherwise.

9 Likes

How cool! I tried and tried to do something similar, but just never could figure out the kerf, so I gave up. Yours looks great!

4 Likes

Oh that’s so pretty… She’ll love it!

4 Likes

Love it! I aspire! I have tons of those quilting things saved just waiting for me to get my chit together and get to work!

4 Likes

That turned out to be gorgeous. Good for you figuring out the kerf!

3 Likes

Very pretty!

2 Likes

No, it soaks right in. I mostly did it because the walnut is just never “finished” enough for me. I found the tung oil in my dad’s stuff and decided to give it a try, and it adds just the right amount of shine. :slight_smile:

As for a tutorial, man, I’m not sure I could even recreate it. If I can, I’ll write it up. For a while, though, I was really convinced I was just wasting several hours creating a tangled mess of nodes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Did you invert cut one of the materials for a tight fit?

1 Like

I did. :slight_smile: The walnut was inverted and inserted into the cherry.

4 Likes

That is GORGEOUS!!! I love the small finger joints!

3 Likes

That is beautiful. She will love it.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s another level of box! :slight_smile:
Well done! In love with it!

2 Likes

I guess she’s going to have to be satisfied with photos of it for a while…her birthday is Thursday, and I don’t foresee things getting any better by then! :frowning:

2 Likes