Inlay test

So did I when I started dabbling in lapidary. It’s a unique effect. The mineral or fibrous material displays a propensity to conduct light along it’s axis that depending on the orientation of the light source changes in relation to the viewing angle, and results in a sheen that stands out relative to the rest of the material.

@hansepe, What happened with the launch tonight by SpaceX Rocket man? History happening here. Did it go as planned?

Edit; I see that it did. No chance for landing the next one though, Geosynchronous orbit at 22,000 miles uses all the fuel… a lot higher than low Earth orbit like the ISS.

2 Likes

Such beautiful inlay and wood :heart: Do you know the name of the wood?
“chatoyancy” - Holy cow, I was trying search out what the sparkly-ness of my black palm veneer was officially called. Kinda random and cool to see someone else posting about it. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Chatoyance is one of my favorite stone properties. All of my favorite rocks and gems have it. Labradorite, Moonstone and Pietersite all have it. :grinning:

Now as for this project, WOW I never realized wood could be chatoyant!!!

5 Likes

Video not working still! :frowning:

downloaded it and it works

1 Like

In wood veneer we don’t have such a fancy name. It is simply called “figure”.

5 Likes

I don’t, but I’m guessing a fancy sawn oak of some kind.

1 Like

@PrintToLaser did you make any adjustments for kerf on your inlay? I’m working on a file and don’t know if I need to account for it or not.

1 Like

I actually did this the hard, inaccurate way, by eye sizing the cut to the engrave in the GFUI, not recommended. By zooming way in and dancing with the size until it looked very close. That’s the main reason for the failure of breaking it up trying to fit it.

Yes, you should account for it for the best fit.
@marmak3261, the wizard of inlay (a power gained from his Scrabble board) is the higher power to ask for help with this.
PM him and he can guide you better than I! That guy is a great teacher, and always willing to help in any way he can. :grin:

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks. I’ve been doing a lot a reading up on it and was preparing for it. With all the recent GF updates I just wasn’t sure where it stood in regards to the GFUI. With things ever evolving it’s hard to know what info still applies or not. Gosh forbid I wait a week or so until I can actually learn on my own machine, I want to learn all the things right now! lol.

3 Likes

Yes, an exciting adventure we have here! Relish in it after the long wait.:sunglasses:

1 Like

One way to get a feel for what you may need to allow for is just print an object with a full cutout inside of it of a letter or initial. Don’t make any allowances. Print the same thing twice but using different colored materials. Doesn’t need to be big. A two inch square with the letter A cutout 1.5" high. Then swap the letter cutout in the two materials. See if it is tight enough for your needs.

4 Likes

Oh wow. That was amazing.

1 Like

Wow. That’s sweet! Very cool effect

1 Like

Here is a great tutorial from :glowforge: staff member @dannyc i had forgotten about who was compelled to share his expertise regarding inlay fitting.

I had this bookmarked but had forgotten about it, and @marmak3261 linked me to it once when I was struggling with procedure.
Thanks @dannyc! :sunglasses:

Yes @Ryan.M and @dan, sweet how a surprise like that gives inspiration like a bucket of water in the face!
I don’t have a specific plan, but I’m pretty sure it revolve around fire!

Materials that play with light like that are a favorite of mine, either with a fibrous nature or a surface texture that sheen at you as you traverse the room.

8 Likes

How as God makes little green apples did I miss snagging that one for the tuts? (Putting it in there now…thanks for the reminder David.) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Jules, there was a magnitude to weed through, we all thank you for all your time and work for the community’s benefit! :purple_heart:

6 Likes

Oh, my pleasure…I was killing time like everyone else. :relaxed:

5 Likes

Fresh out of likes, so have a heart-felt one… :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

It looks to me like the original wood is Lacewood? Or Leopardwood, Both have very interesting figures and growth patterns.

Other wood that has natural iridescence are Mahogany and Curly Maple.

At some point, I want to do a wooden Fire inlay on something that incorporates yellowheart (Yellow), Mahogany (Darker Orange), Leopardwood (Lighter Orange), and Bloodwood or Paduk (Red).

4 Likes

Thanks! I’m no authority on woods.
Your idea sounds great!

1 Like