Inline fan leak

Has anyone experienced issues with the inline fan leaking? I can feel and smell it coming from behind the left screw. image

Does this have something to do with our set up? I know the vent hose needs some work.

The P&S forum is for opening tickets with Glowforge support. I’ll move this to an appropriate forum for you, but they will still have to check in now that a ticket has been opened.

Might just need to snug the screw down if it is getting loose? and on the end that meets the outside is there anything in the way like a window screen or something like that where it could be causing some back pressure between the fan outlet and the end of the line?

Most inline fans have leaks here and there unless they are explicitly spec’d to be sealed.

I had to add a bit of duct tape here and there to mine to get it sealed.

This^^
I used a bead of caulk to seal the seams on mine that leaked.

If you have any more of that foil tape, it works as well.
I smothered everyplace that looked like a seam with it.

2 Likes

Thanks @eflyguy!

This is normally where I say:

Your Glowforge is designed to operate with the included exhaust hose connected to the outside with a maximum of two 90 degree bends or to your Compact Filter with a maximum of three 90 degree bends. If you configure your exhaust differently, the Glowforge unit may not be able to expel enough air, and it could cause smoke and fumes to enter the room. Because ventilation is complex and poor ventilation could cause smelly and even dangerous results, we can’t advise on exhaust configurations other than what’s described in the Glowforge Manual at Glowforge - the 3D laser printer.

If you do want to configure your exhaust differently, there are some great resources on the forum that can help. You can post in the Beyond the Manual section of our community forums to see if the community has suggestions: Beyond the Manual - Glowforge Owners Forum. Note however that advice in this section is unsupported and is not reviewed by Glowforge.

Regardless of how you configure your exhaust, please follow these instructions from the user manual to avoid a serious safety hazard: “There may be some odor present while printing. However, if you detect a strong, sharp smell that also causes eyes, nose, or throat irritation, or if there is visible smoke escaping while the lid is closed, stop immediately and re-check your exhaust setup. If the irritation and/or smoke emissions do not abate, discontinue using your Glowforge and contact support.”

And then I’d move the post over to Beyond the Manual… which you’ve already done for me.

4 Likes

which version of AC Infinity did you get? We ordered the S8 and it’s being shipped out today I believe…and we ordered the vent hose from them as well. We have a friend that is building a large CNC in his basement and is about to the point that he can cut us an 8" hole in some thick acrylic we will use as a window pane (too wide for GF)

Any tips you might like to share? We do have/are getting the converter from 4" to 8" (hubby is taking care of that). Hoping that this works and we won’t have to get the separate unit as well. This acrylic smell is awful in the “open” family room and the wood is only a slight bit better if you can call it that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.