Inline Fans - Are they all created equal?

Hi folks! I’m shopping for an inline fan and I’ve noticed there’s a rather large difference in price between the like s of AC Infinity and Vivosun/home, iPower, etc. At first, I thought the price difference of $100 was because the AC Infinity has a metal chassis. It does not. They’re all plastic. So what’s the difference and is there a justification in the massive difference in cost between these units? Cheers!

1 Like

Most of us only have experience with one particular fan, so you get overwhelming confirmation bias.

If you’re looking for a comparison, I’d suggest going to google for a x vs y search, like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vivosun+vs+infinity

You’ll find direct comparison videos and articles that can lead you the correct direction.

4 Likes

Name has a bit of an influence, as does manufacturing process and components used, but you’d have to test each in a side-by-side comparison to know exactly.

I know people have used the Vivosun fans without issue, so there’s that little bit of info for you to consider.

3 Likes

The higher CFM is the key issue I think. I went with the 195 CFM VivoSun and it is insufficient by itself in smoky situations, so the very high CFM is a lot better the more the better.

The plastic has been running nearly 24 - 7 for a year or more and no worse off, so not itself a problem,

2 Likes

I have had good service from a fan like This. A larger impeller can turn slower (quieter).
I did have to seal the fan housing flanges with caulk. You want to install the fan as close to the room exit as possible so the exhaust run is under negative pressure, and any leaks are sucking in instead of blowing out.

2 Likes

I started with the 4" vivosun 195 CFM and found it insufficient for truly smoky jobs, so upgraded to the 6" vivosun 440 CFM and found it WAY louder and not significantly more efficient - so now I have 2 of the 4" (one at the back of the machine, the 2nd at the window) and it’s perfect.

SO yeah, YMMV, but for me the greater sound of the 6" wasn’t worth it.

1 Like

I have the S6 cloudline and I have never had an issue and never had to take it apart to clean it and it is SUPER quiet I am super impressed and LOVE it!

2 Likes

I just received the 6 inch inline fan from Vivosun and will be returning it. The cord is too short and the power switch is closer to the plug which is not very helpful. It appears to have only 2 speeds, Faster and slow. Place the turn dial in the middle and its the same speed as on the low end, the there is the highest speed right before you click to turn it off.

66dB at high power.

I’ll order the AC Infinity CLOUDLINE S6, which has plenty of review and videos online. At least that one has a longer corder and isn’t as loud according to the right up.

2 Likes

I’ve been using this Vivosun for over a year. It’s super quiet compared to the 4" I had used previously, and exhausts the machine really well by itself (I switched from the 4" when my internal fan died.)

I have it on a Wemo smart plug so I just tell Alexa to turn it on and off. In spring and fall, it often runs all night as I leave the doors open so it can draw air thru the house (lid open.) Can’t even hear it unless I go in the same room.

I note it is considerably more expensive now than when I bought it, but I’d still choose this one.

3 Likes

Do the inline fans need periodic cleaning like the internal fan does? I have the 4 inch Vivosun and it works okay, but I either have leaks or it is clogged somewhere. Just wondering what it might be.

1 Like

The photos show it popping apart for easy cleaning but I have not, nor have I felt the need to as yet… You might find that those computer extension cords with the switch useful for off on, My blue whale has that built-in so I am presently using it that way most of the time. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.