InLine Fans - Does CFM really matter if the exhaust length is short?

After looking at it, I didn’t go for the inline fan as we just didn’t want to cut a hole in my table to accomodate mounting it.

I purchased a fan designed for datamining - or so it claims. We removed the factory fan and cut out the factory grill (they were filthy) and installed it like this. It’s a 200 CFM fan (and you get two :slight_smile: )

I don’t know how to measure the CFM but it is much more powerful then then the 102 one I originally tried. The debibles measured just around 60 right at the fan (not 3 feet away) and it made a big difference. I do not need to wear my ear muffs and can actually talk to someone near the machine at normal voice level

The negative:

There’s alot of air escaping this way as the smell was stronger when cutting wood - I gorilla taped any gaps when I felt air using my ‘wet finger test’ (incense would have been better if I had any) - still a little smell, I just need to find where the rest of the gaps are. Smoke suction improved alot after I did this.

There is more smoke present when cutting wood versus the factory but it gets sucked out quickly. I think part of the issue is my hose is bend @ 90 degrees twice and the fan is further way from the original fan placement. However, I can live with that for now

I was tempted to get a 280CFM fan but all the reviews stated it was really loud around 75 or so DBA so I didn’t go for it since that’s how loud the factory fan is! I wanted to compensate for it being further then the machine but the whole purpose was to reduce the noise.

Maybe I can pad and encase the outter fan part where it meets my plexiglass which might reduce noise - a project to try another day.

3 Likes

I used a laser pointer in a dark room to light up the smoke,

P.S. the fan you linked says it is 200 cfm.

3 Likes

When sealing my exhaust run, including the booster housing, I found running a bead of caulk on every joint/seam and smoothing it with a fingertip provided a positive seal - without fail, every time.

So nice to have zero smell!

2 Likes

Canada for the win! Finally…
I rant a lot about the unfair prices we in Canada pay for the same products you get so much cheaper in the states. However, every now and then I find something that is fairly priced and these fans are actually a better deal here than down south. My price is CDN $22.99 (that is after a $3 coupon is applied) and free delivery. The US price is $22.99 and I would have to pay $10.57 delivery. With the conversion that would cost me $43.93 CDN.
A big high five to that seller!

4 Likes

This seller was awesome. This is a pack of two. One of the fans was clearly not as powerful as the other. After sending a video comparing the two they replaced it and they gave me another 2 pack! I now have 3 fans.

3 Likes

Thankyou to everyone that answers questions and adds info, I installed the same 195cfm inline vivosun fan that other have and it is So AMAZING. (yup that was yelling) I am super happy! I did 6 test cuts 3 with the internal fan disabled and 3 with the internal fan on. the average DB reading on my phone app meter from 3 feet away from my GF with the internal fan on is 76.4 decibels the reading without the internal and just the inline fan is 61.2 decibels. the difference is wonderful and no more worrying about the neighbors!!

There was no increase in odor and no smoke getting out. I put it behind rather than below to reduce the hose length! new clamps and the same tape they use to seal metal ductwork from home depot.

IMG_0693

9 Likes

Yay for your quieter setup but more importantly where did you get that floor lamp?

7 Likes

It was an amazon thing…I find it really helps the image of the bed during setup for cuts!

Brightech Sparq - Hanging, LED Arc Floor Lamp - Over The Couch, Contemporary Standing Lamp - Modern, Dimmable Light Arching from Behind The Sofa - Living Room & Office Pole Lamp
by Brightech USA
Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06WVH873X/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_y.1hEbJXFCJRK

6 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.