Inskscape

I’m trying to make an engraving of the attached unit insignia for my Grandson for Christmas. I want (emphasis on “want”) it to be a circle where I have the red cut line but the cut line needs to go around the wing tips. I can’t figure out how to do it.

1 Like

There are a couple of ways to do this. One is to use the outline tool in the interface if you are a premium subscriber. I tried it, and it is pretty good, but a little bumpy. You can also trace the image in Inkscape, delete the original, view the traced image in outline mode and delete all the nodes except the outline. This provided a smoother looking outline and also revealed some random nodes outside of the wings. Here are both: 3fb4e5a50afee280176247d5b757d2f1a99365a5 2 492x500.svg.zip (414.8 KB)

This is an export from the interface.

5 Likes

Break apart, union does that in two keystrokes. No fooling with nodes.

2 Likes

I need to suffer.

The stray nodes are visible in this easier and correct way to accomplish this as well.

2 Likes

I’m trying to learn the trace suggestion but can’t find it in Inkscape. I’ve looked at every menu multiple times. Where is it hiding?

Look under the Path tab - trace bitmap is what you are looking for.

1 Like

When tracing (or any other manipulation) in rasters I go to Gimp. Inkscape"s recent changes have made the trace function much more complex but I have not seen that as an improvement.

As Gimp and Inkscape are almost two halves of a greater need I use them in compliment routinely.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.