Instant Catan

Yesterday morning, my daughter visits me with some time on her hands. She had been playing Settlers of Catan with her friends regularly, so I threw out the idea of us creating her own custom board. One day-long story short… She drew each tile, I imported them into Illustrator using Adobe Capture (killer!). After some measuring and prototypes in cardboard, I had the pieces dialed in. A few hours of engraving, scoring and cutting… One totally custom Catan board. She is thrilled.

60 Likes

Love it, looks really great! And more so love the speed at which the :glowforge: lets you crank stuff out.

What’s the final piece made out of?

Went with draft board. It’s a great project as I am still getting comfortable with Illustrator. The best way to learn something is to have a purpose and a deadline. A good one-day build is a perfect challenge.

3 Likes

The deadline! Keeps my panic monster around and so the instant gratification monkey stays away!

4 Likes

This is from one of my favorite TED talks. Well done!

1 Like

Great job on the board! (Excellent artwork!) :grinning:

thank you!

Very nice.

This post prompted my instant gratification monkey to google it, good talk!
For those who want their gratification even more instant: Tim Urban: Inside the mind of a master procrastinator | TED Talk

5 Likes

Personalized board, chips and salsa… what else could you need? Sounds like you and your daughter had quite a day!

Do you have any plans to share your design? I understand if you don’t, but this is absolutely gorgeous.

The answer is guacamole. You always need guacamole.

5 Likes

niiiiice!

I spoke to my daughter and she would be thrilled to share the design. I can imagine how wonderful it will be to see what others in this community will do with it! I’ve got a fair bit to clean up, and then I will post the files in this thread.

What is the best way to do this? Should I just post, svgs, or should I post the original illustrator file?

1 Like

Also… My wife has become inspired to make a new design as well. I love her style, so stay tuned for a more folksy version. Here is our marriage contract that she made for us

… This is her style. I can’t wait to see what she comes up with.

3 Likes

Great family project! I really like your daughter’s drawings.

This is beautiful. Your daughter did a lovely job of the drawings