Interlocking Cubes - Integrating laser cutting into wood working

Front/top view

Top side at an angle

Back side view

Being an intermediate level woodworker, I have numerous related tools in my wood shop. I added a laser printer to my shop a few years back and have used it on numerous wood projects. So, when I made a cutting board design using traditional wood cutting tools a while back, I thought I’d would try to duplicate the design with the laser printer. I bought the design pictured and adapted the design construction significantly with the laser printer as the primary cutting tool.

Here is a summary of the design construction: The pattern is made up of 65 triangles each with 6 pieces of wood. That’s 390 pieces all cut on the glowforge. All pieces are just under 1/4" thick. A combination of Cherry, Maple, Black Walnut and Osage orange with White Oak as a backer piece. I needed to find a way to assemble the individual pieces so I designed a “holding/placement” jig (made on the glowforge of course) and used it to glue up the 6 small pieces into 1 triangle all in a very specific pattern/orientation of the various wood species. See attached pictures.

Then the 65 triangles were glued up (again in a very specific pattern), sanded (lots of sanding) and finished it with 3 coats of sealer. I am not sure what I am going to do with it but some ideas are using it as a clip board, or perhaps a top of a box I will make or perhaps a simple wall hanging which I will frame. To be determined.

46 Likes

This is outstanding. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

14 Likes

This is beautiful.

10 Likes

Oh yes, lovely! I imagine the initial cuts also took WAY less time using the laser. I’m presuming the circle also served as a gluing template?

8 Likes

The cut time was less, safer and more accurate. The glue was considerably longer. Yes the purpose of the circle jig was totally for gluing up the individual triangles.

10 Likes

Impressive. Thanks for the information on this.

6 Likes

Very nice write up! Thanks for sharing.

7 Likes

Welcome back to the forum! What a beautiful project! Thanks for sharing how you made it.

6 Likes

Your sanding and work paid off. It is lovely!

6 Likes

That jig is so clever! I love the finished piece.

4 Likes

This is indeed stunning!

4 Likes

Noice… very noice

2 Likes

Amazing! Really a stunning project - thanks for the write up and behind the scenes info!

2 Likes

Beautiful.

2 Likes

This is the kind of thing I thought I’d do with a laser,but am just not capable of. Fantastic!

2 Likes