International alternatives

I’m a forth day pre-order, but from Europe so I won’t get it before March. I think that by then I’m very used to the extra size, speed and cutting power of the Trotec. (It will cut through 12 mm/half an Inch material.) It doesn’t have all the magic that the GF has, but I think that’s mostly very useful in the beginning.
Why do you think that I will like the GB better?

1 Like

For the location usage (of where you can set it up at), other users being able to make us of (not needing great technical skills), self contained components and other than power and vent exhaust connections - turn it on and you go.

Now the Trotec 300 is a different class of machine that will excel at larger materials (and greater than 3/8” thickness), rotary add ons and greater tweaking functionality, but at the cost of dedicated shop space, external ventilation and cooling needs.

If you are doing production work, the Trotec is the better choice. Glowforge is geared to the simplicity of taking artistic creative and making it happen quickly without a needing the higher tech skills (which tends to put off many people)

2 Likes

The space is certainly a thing. The machine is huge. Setting up is probably much easier on the GF. For one, I need a windows computer for the Trotec (and I didn’t have one). Luckily I was able to borrow one. Now I still need some graphic software on that Windows machine. I do have a filter with the Trotec (and I didn’t order that with my GF, so that is one point for the Trotec.)
I had the Trotec up and running in half a hour. For now I only managed to cut demo files, because of the missing graphic software. (And you can’t import files directly into the Trotec software, but as soon as I have that figured out, that won’t be a disadvantage anymore, so I think at this moment that the Trotec will stay.
But time will tell.

1 Like

Inkscape is okay and free. Fusion360 is also free for small businesses.

I think you’ll keep the Trotec :smile:

Trotec machines are well made and well suited for production, from everything I’ve seen and heard. The 300 usually runs about $25,000 new. They’re one of the brands I recommend for folks who are looking for faster print speed and higher capacity. Which (or both) is a better match for your needs will depend a lot on what it is that you need.

4 Likes

Why do you need new graphics software for the Windows box? Can’t you design on your preferred machine and transfer the files over a network to the Windows machine. I always design on my two screen desktop machine but I share the files to other computers with different operating systems to print them.

I think you have to have something that prints since a key bit of the software is a Windows printer driver. But Inkscape can do that, even if you don’t like it. But you still have to deal with svg interop between your design software in the other machine and Inkscape on the Windows machine.

1 Like

That is probably how I’m going to do it; Design in Illustrator on my mac and export to Inkscape on the Windows machine to cut it.

1 Like

The Trotec is even more expensive new, but I was lucky to find a good one second hand for the same price as a new GF. And the best thing is that the Trotec is actually here in my workshop (It can’t get through the door so has to live in the workshop) and working. It will probably still take some time before my 4th day GF gets to Europe.
So I don’t NEED a Trotec, but it is the only machine I actually HAVE.