Introducing Snapmark (September 2018)

For anyone getting Snapmarks, I would suggest just doing the default file first, before trying to create your own jigs, move them around, etc.

If they are still using the pencil template jig as the default, find ya some pencils, put some decent quotes on them, and give that a shot - with everything set up and in the same location as the default file.

8 Likes

I can’t agree with this enough. Not just here but in all things work from a known good, then you can back up to where things started not working.
I always start with the pencil jig and then delete the pencil cuts and add what I need/want.
If the freshly downloaded pencil jig doesn’t work then you have problems other than you changing things beyond what works.

2 Likes

Just tried the pencil tutorial, following the instructions exactly. Still no luck.

I get the feeling the scan for the Snapmarks is just failing without really doing anything. The message disappears after 8 seconds, and the bed image refreshes with a “Ready” label near the white “PRINT” button in the UI. The artwork is not moving at all to match the actual jig sitting in the bed. (And I don’t mean it’s not quite aligned right. It’s not moving at all from the original placement.)

The laser head never moves during all of this.

FWIW, I’ve always had pretty lousy focus and alignment in my lid camera. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Until now, I’ve just adjusted for it since the actual laser head has always been able to do its job. Maybe Snapmarks require the camera to be better calibrated/aligned than the one in my system.

Nope, that has nothing to do with it…my alignment is borderline these days - Snapmarks are perfect.

You’ve now notified the team about the issue, they will look into it for your machine, and they might just make an adjustment behind the scenes and you will suddenly find that it’s working. So retest regularly. (It’s how the Beta process goes…they will not likely send out individual notices to this many people.)

But you might suddenly find yourself with a working Snapmarks process. :+1:

3 Likes

Yep, I’ll just keep checking periodically to see if it resolves itself. Owner “bansai8creations” mentioned in my earlier misplaced thread that she had a similar problem which seemed to solve itself after some time. I’ll cross my fingers and hope that happens here, too.

Thanks for the help, everyone! Especially you, Jules… your threads and replies on the boards are great! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Oh, my pleasure. And welcome to the testing team. :wink:

3 Likes

If you want, you might zip and upload the SVG that you’re sending to the machine, and someone can double check it.

2 Likes

Great idea, jbmanning5. Here it is, both zipped and unzipped…

Snapmark_Beta_-_Pencil_Tutorial%20-%20RTP Snapmark_Beta_-_Pencil_Tutorial - RTP.zip (11.5 KB)

edit: Guess I can’t upload it “unzipped”?

Here’s a screenshot from my last attempt, just after the “Scanning…” message disappeared:

1 Like

@gamn1958, I have run into the exact same issue today. Finishing the project manually, but I have managed to track down the Inkscape DPI settings - and any one of three may be to blame, but my guess would be the “DEFAULT IMPORT RESOLUTION”

You get to this screen by Edit / Preferences and then can change the default settings of 96 DPI to 72.

My guess is that making that change, then re-importing the SnapMark file / template will work. ('Cause I have the same behavior you do, and working snapmarks will make a big project much easier.)

Hope this helps - and once I can confirm if it solves it for me, I will post here again with more info.

1 Like

the only issue from this point is that GFUI assumes a DPI of 96 if your DPI is less than that you would have to change it so the GFUI reads properly. Unless I;m incorrect which i could be been know to known to happen… I think @Jules has mentioned this before or maybe someone else…

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with your file, your machine must just need to catch-up.

Here is what I did using your file.

I printed your file and uploaded it to the GFUI

Note the not-real-careful placement in the machine of the print and where your file came in.

Updated the material thickness, then hit the Snapmark button. Wait… Success.

Engraving…

Cutting…

(I ignored the 4 “pencils” and the Snapmarks if you’re wondering).

Ultimate success!

And if you look real close, you’ll see where I ablated away the ink in your words.

No pencils were harmed in this testing. Give it time and you’ll be having fun too!

9 Likes

Thank you very much for your effort, hansepe! I’ll just sit tight and cross my fingers that it resolves itself.

1 Like

The engineers chose your machine to push the feature to, so now patience (which I undoubtedly did not help with at all) has to take precedence.

Pretty cool how “not careful” you have to be though, huh? :smiley:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

1 Like

I’m impatiently waiting patiently. :laughing:

The main thing I want to use with Snapmarks are big cuts that can’t fit on one print. My next project is going to test the ability of the laser to go through a 3/8” sheet of plywood to make a shelf for holding a 5-gallon water jug. It should turn out way cleaner than the hack job I’d do to it with my limited carpentry tools!

1 Like

Cut 100 labels by hand today because I don’t have Snapmarks yet. Queue the violins. :grinning:

9 Likes

The lamentations continue.

9 Likes

I agree with your statements. I consider Snapmarks to be an MVP level of alignment optimization. As they add more capability, they will roll it out. Why hold on to developments that have value just because they don’t solve the entire problem?

Well, good news, and some advice for others. No matter what I did, I could NOT get the “template” snapmarks to recognize and align, even immediately following a camera lens cleaning.

HOWEVER, when I did the Pencil template (and loaded directly into the GFUI, rather than importing and adjusting in Inkscape, it WORKED.

THEN, I loaded the saved pencil template into Inkscape, swapped a few things around (but not the snapmarks), saved the file as a Plain SVG (not Inkscape), and the loaded the new (altered) pencil Jig into the GFUI, clicked the Magnet Snap button… and it aligned properly in the GFUI.

SO… if you are having trouble, I strongly suggest using the PENCIL TEMPLATE as your SnapMark “base” and running from there.

11 Likes

Here as well

4 Likes