Introducing Snapmark (September 2018)

Thank you. While I love your snarky humor, I just had MOHS surgery for cancer. And I’m sure the GF wasn’t responsible.

Anyway, I’m well aware that Snapmark isn’t a “feature”. That being said, we all know of the shortcomings of Glowforge in regard to precision. And seeing the results with Snapmark has given me (and I’m sure many of us) hope as to what the machine is capable of doing. I’m just like everbody else, I’d like to be using it. That’s all.

3 Likes

Are the leather pants mandatory? Otherwise this sounds awesome!!!

Well this seems perfectly reasonable :dog::dog2::+1:

The odds of this just increased. :smirk:

7 Likes

I was having a bad week in the day job…this made me laugh way more then it should have. Thanks for the smile!

9 Likes

The real Q is: do overly tight pleather pants count?

2 Likes

@bonny:

Had a small brain drizzle late last night…I wonder if setting the format of the Snapmarks template you supply to PDF wouldn’t make it easier for new Beta testers to bypass the import DPI resizing issues with whatever outside software they are using to load and modify the template? They can still save their results as an SVG format if that’s what the team needs to see for testing. But it might initially get the marks into their software at the correct size.

Just an idea, and it might be completely off-base, so take it or leave it if it doesn’t actually work. :slightly_smiling_face:

Works for me. :smile::rofl:

3 Likes

I’ve conferred with the judges, and we’ll allow it.

3 Likes

I’ve had issues with PDFs being imported at the wrong size, too.

Well that’s unfortunate. Thanks for letting me know.

This seems like an excellent idea to me.

That ought not to happen. If you have a PDF that loads into the Glowforge UI with the wrong size then you should probably send it to support so they can investigate.

Not into GFUI; into vector software, like when you’re adding it to a jig template. If you know what dpi it was designed for, you can specify that on import and it will come in correctly, but if you don’t know, it comes in at whatever DPI your software uses, which may or may not be the one that works.

Actually, I just remembered which file it was that led to that discovery – this one: Upgrade to pro, cost, slot mod

PDFs don’t use pixel units the way SVGs do, so DPI should never be an issue. (The PDF spec is based entirely around the Postscript point, which is defined to be exactly 1/72 of an inch.)

I only see an SVG file there, not a PDF.

SVGs have DPI issues because they’re often laid out in pixel units (hence you need to know how many pixels there are per inch).

Oops, then that wasn’t the one. Darn.

Now I’m going to be trying to remember all day which file it was…

yeah, i’m a little confused by that as well. if design software is opening a PDF and misinterpreting size, then the design software is flawed.

2 Likes

I ran into a minor issue this morning with Snapmarks, and I thought I would share with the class.

I had a cut with two items, one stacked on top of the other, and I had the snapmarks centered on the page. It mostly worked fine, but when I got to my last one it didn’t cut the top piece! Turns out it was outside of the cut area. It seems like it wouldn’t be too hard to have the Snapmark return a warning or error if part of your cut will be outside of the area. I had thought that if you had cuts outside the area, that you literally couldn’t start the cut. I guess I was wrong.

Not a big deal, I shifted the paper, re-snapped and deleted the lower piece that had already been cut.

2 Likes

That one has bit me before too.

And I have no doubt I’ll forget and…

4 Likes

In related news, I just got junk mail on Trotec’s machine vision/alignment feature.

https://www.troteclaser.com/en-us/laser-machines/laser-software/jobcontrol-vision/

3 Likes

that’s pretty cool. i wonder if they have other things in the hopper for that mounted camera.

I feel like I shouldn’t tell glowforge this… but the camera feature is about $6K for the trotec; not sure for epilog.

2 Likes

:heart::heart: SNAPMAAAAAAAAAAAARKS!!! :heart::heart:

IMG_2643

25 Likes