Introducing Snapmark (September 2018)

Or maybe see what happens if you print a swatch of black (shape or bold text or whatever), and then etch inside the black print. Should give the appearance of a bold black outline to the etched parts? Would love to see what that looks like!

Very nice cards, by the way!

Thanks. That’s a neat idea to increase contrast & when OK with greater time per sheet of card stock again… (or at least do for the logo itself). Also will look harder to find if any wood veneer cardstock has a colored core like the metallic look card stock I’ve used since I could etch thru the top layer to expose the core for contrast.

OK, OK. I guess technically since it is raised on feet it would actually hold paper either :rofl:

My Snapmarks feature vanished this morning. I’ve had it since late last year. Any idea why this would have happened and how do I get it back?

How the heck did you get wood veneer through a laser printer??!

1 Like

depends on your printer.

https://www.cardsofwood.com/veneer-sheets/blank-sheets/

i haven’t printed on a laser printer yet, but I’ve printed 22x24 sheets on the large format inkjet at my office. we use it sometimes when making the site section of architectural models.

4 Likes

I’ve printed some on my color laser. It’s amazing.

5 Likes

It’s wood veneer bonded to a paper backing from “www.cardstock-warehouse.com”. Only 12pt, or about 100lb–thinner than most cardstock, actually. I just received more cherry (they were sold out of the other variety) and besides smelling wonderful, they have a different backing, so a little thicker & firmer than first packages I got, which where kind of flimsy compared to business card weight stock, but too cool not to use!

EDITED: I checked thickness, and what I have from cs-warehouse is the “short grain” and 0.010-0.012" thick (12pt). No issues running it through my HP colorjet laser printer. But my metallic cardstock that is 0.015" thick is has jammed every time I’ve tried printing with it–so makes me a little hesitant to more more than min. 10 sheets from cardsofwood at 0.015" thick if I want to print on them… (but may be more the stiffness of the stock than actual thickness, and the wood veneer sheets are more flexible).

1 Like

That’s a great resource, thanks–may be a bit more per sheet than cardstock-warehouse, but being able to order by grain orientation and so many species options, that will be my go-to site now!

1 Like

I had Snapmark for the last 2 weeks and now it is gone again.
Very sad about it because I often have parts that I need to cut twice (but not always).
Using Snapmark I was sure it was cutting the same part twice.

I did read the development stopt, but it was working fine for me.
Can it be enabled again?

1 Like

It shouldn’t go away once you have it enabled. I’ve seen a few comments about this – sounds to me like there’s some sort of glitch with the updates that’s making it happen for a few people. You should probably open a support ticket about it by posting over in Problems & Support – since they’re not continuing development on the snapmarks, I don’t know if they’re still monitoring this thread.

Correction, per @Dan’s message (below), posting here was what you needed to do. :slight_smile:

We are. Note, though, that Problems and Support cannot help with Snapmarks.

2 Likes

Forgot to reply but we’ve got the Snapmark again. Not sure what happened but we’re glad its back :wink:

1 Like

Snapmarks is exactly what I’m looking for to use the glowforge to it’s full potential.
Is there any way I can be added to this program. Camera alignment is just blind stabbing my artwork vs precision cutting everything every time, which is why I purchased this wonderful machine.

Have you run the new calibration routine yet? You shouldn’t be “blind stabbing” any more.

2 Likes

The team has moved on to other things for now. (A lot of us are hoping they will bring Snapmarks back in some fashion as soon as they finish up whatever they are working on.) :slightly_smiling_face:

Given the high interest level in Snapmarks, I’d bet the odds are pretty good that we’ll see them again down the line. But they likely want to focus on finishing up some things they originally planned to have for the machines first. (Perfectly fine with me…it keeps me hanging around to see the good things ahead as this continues to grow. And I love surprises.) :smile:

2 Likes

I’d hate HATE to lose this feature, even though I’m just starting to use it. I recently used the pass through slot to cut the sides to our nerdy gurdy (which we’re FINALLY building) as they were over 24" long and snapmarks made it work perfectly. I can’t imagine using the passthrough without them.

2 Likes

I just finished up 3d printing all the remaining parts for mine!

2 Likes

Nice! We will have to compare notes once built!

I would be extremely disappointed to see snapmarks go away.

This is a key feature that is working extremely well for those of us who have access to the feature.

Access to better calibration of our machines is no replacement for the convenience and reliability provided by this feature.

Please help us understand what other features have been prioritized over this one?

To me, this must mean that there are awesome new features coming, or there has been a business decision to reduce commitment to further development of the platform.

1 Like