IP address?

My Glowforge is used in a school, and they are very protective of their network. I have had to give the IT dept. all of the IP addresses to items i want networked.

We had a power failure here, and the reboot of the network put the firewall back up, not allowing my GF to communicate on the network. Giving IT the IP address of the cutter would solve this issue permanently.

Any idea how I can get the IP address of my GF?

There’s no simple way when you don’t have access to the wifi router/access point (which they should) but you could tell them the OUI / MAC address prefix is likely 3C:A3:08. They should be able to see the device in their logs.

3 Likes

This may help:

IP addresses are assigned by the network, not hardcoded to the device. Your IT department should need only the MAC address, which is hardcoded to the network adapter in the machine. Once they have that MAC address they can whitelist that device and it should persist through power losses, provided they have done their whitelist correctly.

3 Likes

And to add - IT would have supplied you with an IP address if they were that restrictive about it, but I don’t believe there’s any way to hard code an IP address into the GF. Mac address is the way to go.

1 Like

Hello @mrodriquenz,

Below are instructions for how to find the MAC address for your Glowforge. Please provide this to your IT team. If they run into any issues or have any questions please let us know and we’ll be happy to help.

You can follow these steps to find the MAC address of your Glowforge:

1. Reboot your Glowforge.

2. Wait at least 30 seconds, or until the Printer Head stops moving.

3. Open your browser and go to setup.glowforge.com.

4. Open the Javascript Console (in Chrome, this can be found under View > Developer > Javascript Console. In Firefox, it is found under Tools > Web Developer > Web Console).

5. Follow the Wi-Fi Setup steps until you are connected to the Glowforge Wi-Fi access point. The page will say “Connect Your Glowforge to Wi-Fi”.

6. In the Console, paste the following code:

fetch('http://192.168.192.1:3000/setup/connection_status').then((response) => { return response.json() }).then((data) => {console.log(data.address)})

1. This should return a bit of code that looks something like the following:

Promise {<pending>, nr@context: r}

a1:b2:c3:d4:ee:f5

​Here’s how it looks in the Javascript Console on Google Chrome:

The second line in this response, a1:b2:c3:d4:ee:f5, is the MAC address.

1. Exit the webpage, reconnect to your usual Wi-Fi network, and reboot your Glowforge.

2. Please let us know if you run into any trouble with these steps.

2 Likes

Since you have another forum post about this same issue I’m going to close this thread.