Not much progress tonight, but thanks to @JeremyNielsen for settings and my local iPhone repair shop, I tried etching. It’s much less stressful when it’s not a working iPhone. The artwork is from the phone shop owner. The process I used was first to scan the phone and bring it into Illustrator so that I could avoid the Apple logo and other lettering. Ultimately, didn’t matter because I couldn’t manipulate the artwork anyway. I measured the back and sized the artwork to fit, then created a cut line in a second color. Saved svg. In the GFUI, I ignored the image, set down some chip board with magnets and cut just the border. full speed, 10% power. Then switched and ignored the cut line, and setup the image for full speed engrave, 99% power and 340 dpi. - ERROR.
The GFUI didn’t like that I inverted the colors of the image. The original artwork was white with black background. It gave a fix of a screenshot and then upload new artwork. I think that was my downfall. Even though I aligned the new image with the old and ignored all the right things, it’s still a little off kilter and there’s a border. The border is in the screenshot, not the svg.
It’s close enough to knock their socks off tomorrow. Now, to figure out what my charge is to do on working phones. Gasp.