iPhone Measure app to quickly capture a design idea

EDIT: The app is called Measure. If it isn’t included on your iOS device already, it is a free download from the App Store. iMore has a good tutorial, as usual. How to use the Measure app on iPhone | iMore

I was at my favorite restaurant – Tommy’s Mexican in SF (best tequila bar in the world) – and was once again admiring the little booth side flower holders. Pulled out my iPhone and used the built in Measurements app to quickly get the dimensions:

An hour or so of stumbling through Fusion 360 (I don’t know what I’m doing-- would have been MUCH longer without @jbpa’s plugin Need testers: TabGen (Fusion 360 Plug-in) improvements - #20 by jbpa) and I had a workable design!

This is a draft print on BB plywood. Not sure what wood I’ll use in the end. And I might redo the design to use thicker material (I didn’t parameterize on the first pass. Oops).

32 Likes

That’s a damn hand app! Those are sure to get the owner’s attention.

4 Likes

What’s that app called, I’m wondering if it’s on my iPad?

My older daughter says yes. And she showed me how to use it :slight_smile: Isn’t that what kids are for LOL

2 Likes

I can figure out how to use it if I know what it is called…

Edit: Never mind, I found it, cleverly called “measure”. Wasn’t on my iPad but is apple and was a free download. Works great, and will be used a LOT!

1 Like

Sorry @markevans36301. yes, it is called ‘measure’. When my kids are around I always save time when it comes to iPhone apps. I save my time and energy for Illustrator since they are useless for that.

2 Likes

Great resource! Thanks for sharing. Also thanks for the shout out for @jbpa’s plug-in. I missed his original post.

2 Likes

I’m just continuing to build on what @dehne1 started.

3 Likes

Wow, cool app … and nice turnout!

I’ve had that app for a long time, but seldom use it. Now that you’ve posted about this, I may find renewed use. Thank you.