iPhone+Watch+AirPods MagSafe charging station, mark II

My first attempt at this served well for a couple months, but the glued joints were fragile, and I wanted something that looked a little nicer, too. Here’s the second version, with a bit of build log along the way.

Again the main construction is in :proofgrade: draftboard. This time there are two of the legs that hold the hinged piece up, more centrally placed, and attached with finger joints.

You can also see the engravings in the sandwiched part of the assembly for rounding cables and hiding the Qi charger coil and its circuit board.

For a nicer look this time, I cut veneer (:proofgrade: cherry) to cover the outer surfaces. Not only does it have a pretty finish, it hides some of the cable routing and finger joints. It also bends smoothly around the living hinge curve for a fun effect.

My original plan was to also put veneer in the little depression where the AirPods case goes (since I get a cutout of that shape anyway)… but I decided I liked having that a little deeper, so it keeps the engraved-charred look for now at least.

For anyone trying their hand at similar ideas: expect to play around with angles a bit before you settle on a design. My iPhone 12 goes caseless, and sits just fine… but my daughter’s 12 mini has a third-party case that still supports MagSafe accessories, but needs a shallower angle to stay on a charger like this.

38 Likes

Looks really nice with the veneer!

3 Likes

This is really cool! The veneer really takes it to the next level!

2 Likes

Now THAT is how you use veneer!

4 Likes

Great project and product! The look you achieved is very nice!

1 Like

The veneer makes it! Always getting new ideas from everyone here! I just happen to have bought some veneer…now I know how I’ll use it. Great project!

1 Like

Where can we download it? :slight_smile: :pray: :smiley:
Beautiful work.

edit: Thank you to the kind mods who let me know we don’t ask for design files. :grimacing: :sweat: :man_bowing:

3 Likes

Hey welcome to the forum @orionparrott! It’s quite a compliment to like a project so much that you’d like to make your own, but you’ll generally only find files to download in the free laser designs section of the forum.

The forum FAQ has a section on how and when to ask for files, it’s all outlined here:

https://community.glowforge.com/faq

it’s always nice to see new faces here! We look forward to seeing the things you make. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hello and welcome to the community.

Just a friendly reminder, it’s against forum rules to request files. If someone wants to share their work they will post it in the free laser designs category or if they have an online presence like Etsy, they will have the link in their profile. It seems that this member hasn’t visited here in nearly a year, now

3 Likes

Oh got it. Thanks! I should have known that. I’ll go read the rules.

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for mentioning it and your kind reply. Now I know. I’ll read the FAQ. :bowing_man:
Looking forward to sharing some designs and builds! I’ve been 3d printing for a few years (Ultimaker 3, Prusa MK3S, Form Labs 3) and now having a blast getting started with the Glowforge.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

4 Likes

Hey I was just thinking… since you’re just getting started you might like this roundup of links to all kinds of info:

I think you might find it useful! Of course if you hit any snags feel free to ask away in the community support section, we’re a pretty helpful bunch. :slight_smile:

7 Likes