Is duct tape laser safe?

Does anyone know if duct tape is laser safe/can it be cut without releasing harmful stuff? I tried looking it up via google but haven’t been able to find a solid answer.

1 Like

Seems like I’ve heard of somebody doing it. I know I regularly miscalculate and the laser goes over my duct tape covered magnets with no apparent harm except cutting through the tape, but your mileage may vary.

3 Likes

The safe answer is to look up the SDS for whatever particular brand you’re planning to use. The other answer would be I haven’t seen anything noteworthy in any of the SDS’s that I’ve looked at.

3 Likes

I emailed the company for the SDS, as I couldn’t find it on their website. pending response. thanks for the suggestion.

2 Likes

I laser the double sided duck tape.

1 Like

It doesn’t get stuck?

I use it to make stuff stick together. Peel one side, stick to the material, cut whatever I’m cutting out of it, peel the other side, and stick it to what I want it stuck to. Good stuff!

3 Likes

I meant the laser beam! :wink:

9 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Goof.

1 Like

Here are some excerpts from my inquiry through ShurTech (duck tape brand) - sounds like lasering duck tape brand is no issue :+1:

“An article is defined as a manufactured item (i) which is formed into a specific shape of design during manufacture; (ii) which has end-use functions dependent in whole, or in part, upon its shape or design during end-use; and (iii) which does not release, or otherwise result in the exposure to, a hazardous chemical under normal conditions of use.”

For this reason, MSDS’s are not required for duct tape supplied by ShurTech Brands. This letter should provide satisfactory documentation for your records.

After that reply I asked more specifically about burning or melting the tape and got this:

“The duct tape will not emit any hazardous fumes, as none of the components are considered hazardous. The duck tape will not burn, but will melt when exposed to high temperatures.”

2 Likes

Am I the only one who reads that statement as a challenge? :grin:

4 Likes

1 Like

HAHAH me too! :rofl: