Is Glowforge CE Certified?

True. Their sales seems to be greater in the US, though, so maybe they will be focusing on NRTL certification first since that needs to be done by an outside organization with the consequential delays, and on CE second since they can do that themselves.

Thatā€™s probably true. Iā€™d expect them to be doing it parallel though keeping the tech logs updated as they make changes. Itā€™s quicker from a timeline perspective than waiting until the end. It is a little less efficient from an effort standpoint as some updates will get discarded or rendered obsolete by subsequent changes to the machine.

Agreed, and they might need NRTL-listing for the CE label anyway.

@dan any ce-labels on the laser?

Mine arrived Wednesday. No CE mark on it.

We havenā€™t announced finishing NRTL and CE certifications yet.

2 Likes

Can machines already delivered by ā€œreverse certifiedā€ if certification is finished without any changes in the machine?

I am assuming not, but it would be nice if we can all just add a sticker to the machine ourselves someday and no longer worry about anyone asking us about certification.

2 Likes

Since certification processes require you to send a production-ready device for testing, if there hasnā€™t been any significant design revisions to any of the other produced units the certification applies to that family of units.

3.2.2. Family Certification
Family certification (multiple models) may be granted to many models of radio equipment that are electrically identical, provided that each model is assigned a unique model number by the manufacturer.

Equipment is considered electrically identical if no changes are made to equipment that has been certified or if the changes made to the equipment qualify as Class 1 permissive changes.

There are two possibilities for family certification:

• New Family Certification ā€” If family certification is requested and none of the models in the family has ever been certified.
  • Family to a Previously Certified Model ā€” If family certification is requested and at least one model in the family has been certified.
4 Likes

Nice, I figured that was too much to hope for. But decided I did not care sufficiently to delay my shipment :wink:

1 Like

come on this should be done by now. can you tell us a bit more what problems you are running into.

3 Likes

Weā€™ll announce here when we finish.

@dan From emails that went out yesterday, it appears first international customers are scheduled to get shipping email Jan-Feb of 2018 which means CE certification will be completed by then.

Could you provide a similar estimate for completion of UL certification, please?

I ordered day 3 and have received my email. I would very much like to have the UL cert on my machine (but donā€™t need it) so I would like to be able to weigh my optionsā€¦i.e. ā€˜no certā€™ gets delivered soon-ish, ā€˜with certā€™ gets delivered ???

Thanks in advance. I honestly hope this doesnā€™t get answered until next weekā€¦Iā€™m hoping that you take some time with you family and get at least one awesome night of sleep this weekend! Thank you for all that you have put into this

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I was at a conference - it was a long weekend. Factory today, but dinner with the family tonight.

We donā€™t have an estimated date yet but are working on it.

@dan, this may be a stupid question - but if you do not have an estimated date yet, what did you base the delivery date for my machine on?

Not stupid at all. The question was about NRTL certification. Itā€™s an optional certification for electronics in the US, and we were not originally planning to do it. We have since said that we will add it at some point, but donā€™t have a date for when.

2 Likes

ā€¦typical ā€œDuhā€¦ā€-momentā€¦ I was going by the thread title. Sorry about that @dan :wink:

3 Likes