Is GLOWFORGE SPARK a new machine?

Earlier today I was doing some research about trademarks and I came across these pages.

Did someone make a mistake by capitalizing every single letter in the name?

I wonder if this is a new machine.

4 Likes

You wouldnā€™t want to spoil a product launch if it is, right?

Lots of time and money go into those, making them happen in a coordinated fashion at the time the company chooses.

Weā€™ll all find out together when they decide to announce whatever Glowforge Spark is.

14 Likes

Companies register names and product concepts all the time, as you have discovered. Sometimes it means a new product is in the works, but often it just means they have an idea of a product and want to protect the name. I think Apple has a ton of registered names and concepts.

11 Likes

To be fair, trademarks are public domain, so it wouldnā€™t really be spoiling anything

8 Likes

I found some leaked pictures of an early prototype.

20 Likes

Spark is a machine for sale on the Glowforge website. Smaller version of the aura

4 Likes

It is a new machine. Itā€™s listed on their machines for sale page. Smaller version of the aura.

3 Likes

Oof the learn more page is 404 error.

4 Likes
9 Likes

interesting that they list ā€œsandpaperā€ as a material it can cut. seems like an odd material to choose.

and they list titanium and aluminum as engravable. which isnā€™t technically accurate.

still a 6w blue diode, cutting area 8.5x11, but can hold 12x12 material.

10 Likes

:crazy_face: :smile:

4 Likes

They did the same for the performance models despite it but being exactly true either. Clearly itā€™s language okā€™d by the lawyers. I remember long threads back in the day hashing that over and over!

7 Likes

Now that itā€™s no longer a leak, the FCC had published internal and external photos of the Spark from its RF emissions testing last month:

Joann almost leaked it too. They added a Glowforge Spark category to their website last month, but hid the machine from appearing in the category until today:

Iā€™m excited about one thing: Itā€™s much cheaper than I expected. Thatā€™s a crazy price point for retail.

Iā€™m a little disappointed by two things:

1. The Spark having an even smaller work area despite the same bed size. I figured itā€™d just be an Aura minus the passthrough slot.

2. I was hoping there was going to be a second laser head option with more than 6 watts that could fit either of the diode laser siblings.

The signs I misread that led me to hope for that:

1. ā€œGFD Basic Buttonā€ and ā€œLASER HEAD, PROā€ labels on two of the PCBs in the FCC photos.

2. The newly introduced higher speeds available only when using manual settings on the Aura. I was hoping they were added because new Proofgrade settings would use those higher speeds in combination with a 12W-20W head.

9 Likes

Looks like they didnā€™t change anything about the rails and bushings from the aura. I wonder if weā€™ll see the same avalanche of ā€œmy design skips in the middle of the jobā€ complaints as we do with the aura?

11 Likes

OK, weā€™ve just been cleared to talk about this. Yes, itā€™s real. Just smaller than the Aura. Same LED laser head. No one who I know is beta testing, has experienced any X axis motion problems.

11 Likes
6 Likes

Without a Draftboard like material capability, itā€™s a non-starter for me. I need a rigid, easily paintable (especially with markers), material. Has anyone used ā€˜chipboardā€™ in their Aura?

On Amazon thereā€™s 2.5mm, 2.2mm, 1.7mm and 1.27mm variants.

If the 2.2mm or 2.7mm worked, and it didnā€™t char 1/4" on either side of the cut, that would likely be suitable. Probably going to be smoky, but thatā€™s what exhaust fans are for. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

-Edit- YouTuber does a review of the Spark cutting the light Cherry. So should work fine, as long as the Chipboard isnā€™t scorched earth after cutting.

6 Likes

Does it have Snapmark? I really miss that feature. Seems like a given for the cricut and silhouette crowd.

Just wondering if the new mechanism would allow for consistent snapmarking.

8 Likes

Have not but if no one pipes up Iā€™ll give it a try as soon as I can.

4 Likes

I have cut mat board and watercolor artboard (each about 50 mils thick) in my Aura with no trouble, and less char than I see in my Pro. I would assume the Spark would do about the same as the Aura.

10 Likes