Is it possible to engrave and make a stencil at the same time

I’ve been searching the forum for this but dont’ even know the correct search terms.

But what I would like to do is:

1. I have a board that is painted in a dark color.
  2. I want to temporarily adhere some sort of thin material to it.
  3. I want the GlowForge to engrave the wood and the material at the same time.
  4. Then I want to use white spray paint to paint the engraved areas allowing the adhesive material to act as a stencil.
  5. Then I want to remove the adhesive material after the paint dries.

Final result would be that the engraved area is white while the rest of the piece is dark. I’m wanting it to be this way because I would like the white area to be engraved.

Thank you to anyone that can tell me if there is such a material that has an easy to remove adhesive.

You could simply use masking similar to what is applied to proof gray material when you buy it directly from GlowForge. Something similar to what I’ve linked to below. There are many options available through a variety of suppliers online. This just happens to be a quick one from Amazon.
When I worked in the sign industry we used to do things like that all the time and use it for paint masking.

Transfer Tape for Vinyl, 12 inch x 100 feet, Paper with Layflat Adhesive. American-Made Application Tape for Craft Cutters and Sign Makers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08563Q5ND/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PKYPP6W05PA5NMTA5ZME?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

@jmajor has solid advice, but if you’re looking for a more inexpensive option, check out #2.

The trick is that a lot of vendors sell it in 100’ rolls, whereas more pro-oriented places sell it in 100-yard rolls. You typically find that the 100’ options are more expensive per foot.

3 Likes

Bless you, that is exactly what I was looking for but didn’t know what it is called.

I also wasn’t sure what material would be okay to burn away by engraving through it.

Thank you so much. I’m ordering it now so I can have it done in time to include my results here in this post.

2 Likes