Is it safe to cut or engrave 1 mm thick plexiglass Polystyrene plastic with my glowforge?

Hi there is it safe to cut, engrave or score Polystyrene plastic with my glowforge?

This is what I wanted to try out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QZG8MGC/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2295GM2RBSEBY&psc=1

Does anyone have any experience with it?

2 Likes

That’s acrylic, so it should be fine. :slightly_smiling_face:
(Polystyrene…not so much.)

2 Likes

It is polystyrene…
plastic
Not sure if it would engrave well or just melt into a mess.

MSDS

Polystyrene

PRINT

Section 1: Identification Product Name: Polysytrene
Product Nos.: PS, PSBR, BRPS
Supplier/Manufacture: American Polymer Standards Corporation,
8680 Tyler Blvd., Mentor, OH 44060
Phone:440-255-2211 * Fax: 440-255-8397 * Email: apsc@ampolymer.com
In Case of Emergency: (440) 255-2211

Section 5: Fire-Fighting Measures|Suitable Extinguishing Media:|Use dry chemical powder|
| — | — |
|Unsuitable Extinguishing Media:|Do not use water jet.|
|Specific Hazards Arising from the Chemical:|Carbon oxides, Acrolein|
|Hazardous Thermal Decomposition Products:|Fine dust clouds may form explosive mixtures with air.|
|Special Protective Actions for Fire-Fighters:|Promptly isolate the scene by removing all persons form the vicinity of the incident if there is a fire. No action shall be taken involving any personal risk or without suitable training. Move containers from fire area if this can be done without risk. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool.|
|Special Protective Equipment for Fire-Fighters:|Fire-Fighters should wear appropriate protective equipment and self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) with a full face-piece operated in positive pressure mode.|

1 Like

Polystyrene is safe to cut and score. Engraving won’t do much (no contrasting mark).

That said, I would not feel comfortable buying from that seller. They keyword it as everything they can think of.

Even in the actual description of the product they are calling it polystyrene, then petg, and then plexiglass.

Who knows what you’re actually getting…

6 Likes

Whooopsie, I thought it was acrylic since it lists acrylic as the material below.

Obviously, I’d clarify which one it was before attempting it. Polystyrene is listed as a common cause of fires in lasers since it tends to catch fire. Acrylic is okay. Mylar stencil sheets are also okay.

1 Like

As stated, styrene is safe and easy to cut on the machine, but this appears to be PETG which is more like polycarbonate which is not easy to work with.

Also as stated, I’d be suspicious dealing with this seller as they do no appear to know what they are selling - but I will say, polycarbonate sheets like that are common for replacing glass in picture frames, and that stuff can not be cut on the GF.

There are similar products available made from actual acrylic sheet which does work well. I have used a lot of it obtained from my local Home Depot.

4 Likes