Is my overhead camera blurry?

I just received my new GF Pro last Thursday and I’m wondering if I have a problem with my overhead (lid?) camera. I made the Snap & Store Box but the GF didn’t add my design to the final cut; it showed only part of my hand-drawn design in the thumbnails. And now I’m trying to cut a window panel for my exhaust tube and the camera looks really blurry to me. Is this what it’s supposed to look like?

I just want to be sure that everything is working the way it is supposed to before I keep cutting on my materials and waste them. I did clean the lid camera with the provided wipe before I took the above screen shot.

That looks pretty good to me, actually. Have you run the camera calibration routine since setting up your Glowforge?

1 Like

No! I didn’t even know I needed to do one :woman_facepalming: How did I miss that? I’ll do that next thing; thank you! :clap:

1 Like

Okay, so I ran the camera calibration and at the Measuring Material stage the screen says that “Measurements are 37% complete” but a pop-up window appeared at the bottom right saying that the camera has been recalibrated. I Xed out of that little window and the main screen isn’t changing anymore, the button is no longer blinking and the laser head has moved up to the top left of my GF. Is the calibration done? Can I exit out of it, or did it not finish (the whole “37%” thing)?

Thank you for reaching out about this. I extracted the logs from your Glowforge and was able to confirm that a calibration was successfully completed and applied yesterday. It’s important to note that running the recalibrator is a method to improve the preview alignment for your unit, but it will not change the focus of the camera.

If your unit is able to successfully automatically recognize Proofgrade material which is loaded into the bed, it is working correctly and you should be fine to continue printing. Will you please let us know if it consistently recognizes Proofgrade material?

Yes, it does read the QR code’s correctly. I have noticed that the camera seems to be off-center though. I can’t print as close to the edges on the top & left sides of the PG material as I can on the bottom & right. Is there anyway to fix that, to center the camera?

Thank you!

Carolyn

That is normal.

If you put a full sheet (20x12) against the lower edge of the print bed, the bounds of the printable area are ~0.7" from the left and top edge, .37" from the bottom, and .25" from the right.

Nothing to do with the camera, those are the limits of the range of movement of the head.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear that your camera is detecting Proofgrade material correctly. As @eflyguy mentioned, your Glowforge bed can accommodate materials measuring 18 x 20.4”. Your Glowforge has a maximum printable area of approximately 11″ (279 mm) deep and 19.5″ (495 mm) wide, and it’s reduced somewhat when the laser operates at high speed, as it can take space for the laser to decelerate.

This means not all of the bed is displayed, or available to be printed on, so there will always be about an inch of space on the left. This material can be reused as scrap later for small pieces. For example, a lot of customers use small pieces of scrap to print these pins available in the free laser design section: Honeycomb bed holdown pins

I hope this information helps!