Is Proofgrade Acrylic Microwave-safe?

So we have a rule at work that everything in the microwave must be covered. I like to warm up soup. That’s tough to cover with a paper towel. I’ve devised an origami-like fold that holds up ok, but sometimes still ends up in the soup.

I was thinking that I could just create a quick X-shaped arc to place over the bowl that I could slip apart and keep in my desk. PG Acrylic seems like the right answer, but is it microwave-safe from both a melting and toxicity perspective?

1 Like

Silicone might be a better option - they make them for the purpose:

https://www.dealgenius.com/set-of-2-silicone-lids-by-zak-prevent-microwave-splatters.html

:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Oddly, I don’t see why not. It needs to reach a temperature of 300 - 600 degrees Fahrenheit to melt, which it then goes towards a liquidy state that I’ve used to bend and even vacuum form (which is where that 600 degrees F comes in - you need that for the 1/4” thick stuff). It could still get hot, and I wouldn’t microwave it for longer than 5 minutes… but it’s not going to off-gas if that’s what you’re asking.

4 Likes

(Silicone is definitely a better way to go :joy:)

3 Likes

Cheaper too! :smile:

2 Likes

Box of these next to the zap-fryer does the trick for me.

https://amzn.to/2oG7pam

4 Likes

These are nice and my bowl fits the small one.

1 Like

Good points. I have a certain “laziness-factor” that I work in (at least I’m honest about it). The idea of draping a paper towel over a minimal trellis as opposed to cleaning the lid… the paper towel is still winning.

For home, the silicone lids are an obvious choice.

Thank you for all of your input.

4 Likes

I can see these being useful for many things. Thank you for the link.

I just use an up-side-down plate. Then you just rinse it in the sink and put it back in the cupboard. Nothing to buy, nothing to throw out.

2 Likes

I have formed cast acrylic by lightly passing a torch over it to slightly heat, form a little, then repeat until in the desired shape.
Have seen people use an oven for the same thing (around 300 degree) but I never felt the need to debate the wife on what does or does not go into her food making machine,

Not sure about temps in a microwave, but I would imagine cast acrylic would do a ‘face hugger’ routine like in Aliens once heated enough.

Let us know @ESteele if you decide to try it.

1 Like

Acrylic is non-toxic. I’m not usre aobut the microwave thing, but there’s an old trick - put a scrap of it in a microwave oven along with a styrofoam cup of water. The water’s there to present a load to the microwaves.

Try ten or fifteen seconds, carefully check the temperature of the acrylic. If it didn’t get warm, try again with thirty seconds. Still no heat? It’s good.

I own’t tell you how to use a microwave to ‘erase’ a CD, but if you experiment with that, turn the lights out in the room so you can see the result.

5 Likes

Melamine, on the other hand.

1 Like

A cheap paper plate stand up well to the hottest soup.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 32 days. New replies are no longer allowed.