Is there a way to get the MAC address for a Glowforge?

I need to get the Glowforge for our makerspace onto a wifi network that is filtered by MAC address, and I need the MAC address into order to make the request.

Is there an easy way to get the wifi MAC address for a glowforge? I couldn’t find it anywhere in the settings, or anything about it in the manual or forum (sorry if it was there and I just couldn’t find it).

The alternative is have it try to get connected to a network, get information from the log of the router and try to figure out the mac address from that.

But it would be nice if it were just available from a web page.

If you run scan IP software on your network, it will tell you the MAC address of each item with an assigned IP address. I use Advanced IP Scanner. Free download

1 Like

This is a great question. I have my WIFI setup to only accept MAC addresses from a list.

When you set up the Glowforge for the first time, it creates its own wifi hotspot that you connect to in order to configure the connection to the real wifi.

At that point, when your laptop is connected to the Glowforge’s own wifi, you should be able to see the MAC address via the scanner.

You’ll need to have it installed on your system already though because when you are connected to the Glowforge this way, you don’t have internet access. The only web page you can reach is the Glowforge itself.

4 Likes

It would be really great if they could add this to the web page served by the Glowforge when assigning the WiFi information. Just some fine print at the bottom of the page. Non-intrusive for those who don’t need it, really important for those who do.

For the more immediate need, if you run an IP scanner to find the MAC address while connected to the Glowforge during WiFi setup it should be really easy to determine which one it is–since there’ll only be two machines on the net–the Glowforge and the computer you’re running the scan from.

4 Likes

I could swear it’s on a sticker on the unit itself.

4 Likes

Was gonna day the same. Generally there’s a sticker on the back with the MAC.

3 Likes

I would think that is an FCC requirement. usually you can see a laptop’s MAC if you pop out the battery.

1 Like

Could be. Either way, if it is on the sticker, I can’t think of an easier way than a sticker stating it unwaveringly (:arrow_backward: probably not a word).

1 Like

If it’s on a sticker somewhere, I couldn’t find it. The main sticker on the back shows the model, serial number, and the FCC ID along with other legal stuff. It’s possible it’s inside the machine somewhere, but I couldn’t spot it.

1 Like

Okay, I seriously have to SMH that someone at Glowforge fell asleep at the wheel and didn’t think to have Flex put the MAC address on a sticker near the serial number. I mean, it’s not like it depends on wifi for connectivity or anything…

7 Likes

Hi, @pugh. You can use the steps below to identify the MAC address of your Glowforge; I’m sorry it’s a bit awkward.

First, connect your Glowforge to your cell phone Hot Spot:

1. Turn on your Glowforge
  2. Hold down the button for ten seconds until it turns teal
  3. Your Glowforge is now broadcasting a temporary Wi-Fi signal
  4. Navigate to app.glowforge.com/setup and follow the instructions to connect to your Hot Spot.
    You can read the full troubleshooter at Don’t See Your Glowforge Wi-Fi.

Once you’ve connected the unit to your Hot Spot, you can identify the MAC address on your phone by looking at the connected devices.

Android: Settings / Hot Spot and Tethering / Hot Spot / Connected Devices
To find this information on an iPhone, you may need a separate app like this one

If you run into any trouble, let me know.

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.

1 Like