Is there an available cut and engrave test card?

My intension was to enable a set of reference values for cutting at different speeds and powers, to enable the cut test.

as it stands, it’s “create custom, edit speed, edit power, save, enter name,” for each one. If I did a cross product of speeds and powers in increments of 10, I’d have 100 custom settings just to enable one test pattern.

Sure, once you know the right value for a material, you’re find, provided that the values don’t change as your tube ages, or for diffferent densities of the same material.

I’m just trying to find the most methodical way to do testing.

1 Like

btw, I feel as thought this is devolving into something like “I would like to do X.” and “you don’t really need to do X.” :confused:

1 Like

You are making more complications than needed :slightly_smiling_face:
When I get non-pg material I run this test and save them all in a box with hand notation on the back of species and source. The method of saving a custom setting then gets used when cutting engraving etc. Then when there has been a successful cut (or engrave etc) I save that on the list I showed you. For most PG stuff I use the official settings. I do prefer a much higher LPI than most on engraving so I save those also noting speed and LPI (almost everything is full power)in the name. After several years the list is quite long but being alphabetical, not difficult.

1 Like

so you have those 10 colors saved for each of cut and engrave, using a single speed for each?

No, each color gets the speed noted on the side, and each engraving gets twice that speed, the highest speed that cuts all the way through is the speed I use. I use a standard LPI (340 I think) on the engraving and if I expect the lowest speeds may be too low I cut the power to 50 for the last 3. Some varieties of wood flame more than others and when that last one becomes charcoal, that too is important data.

That box of tests becomes an important reference data set. But does not need to be done all at once.

1 Like

If you really want to do a deep dive, you could get this book and keep notes there. I have gone too deep in that rabbit hole already and have way too many exotic species with no market to sell the result.

Nailed it.

Many of us went down that rabbit hole when we first got our machines.

3 Likes

from Glowforge:

That’s a great idea! We do not have a way to do this currently.

We are always looking to add and improve, so I’ll share your suggestions with the product team. I hope they decide to go with it in a future version.

Thank you,

Previously:

:rofl:

2 Likes

I was hoping I’d be proven wrong, but alas.

4 Likes

Ayep.

1 Like

There is no financial incentive to add features like this.

Once the committed features (from the initial campaign) were delivered, very little has been changed that didn’t benefit them financially.

I am not being critical, they are a privately-funded business, and investors expect return on investments. What you are asking would only be of benefit to a handful of owners, out of well over 100,000.

5 Likes