Isle of Lewis Chessboard, With a Bonus

My son is a senior at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland. While visiting him last Christmas, we ventured into the Scottish National Museum and saw the Isle of Lewis Chess Set pieces and I knew that I had to buy them. The original set is believed to be the oldest chess set in existence and were discovered washed up on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides Islands (NW Scotland). They were carved from walrus ivory, and are truly a masterpiece of craftsmanship.

I knew that the set needed a chessboard that would compliment their incredible artistry, so my German exchange student Steffen and I endeavored to use the full power of the Glowforge to create one. And here it is…

We started out by making an interlocking lattice out of draft board, with alternating notches on the top and bottom of each rail. This worked great as we centered it on a piece of 3/4" thick plywood. It’s sturdy!

Once centered perfectly, we filled the squares first with a perfectly cut piece of draft board and then set in alternating proofgrade maple and cherry. We then continued to fill out the top of the board with a strip of cherry with tiny holes cut for the brand tacks, and then maple pieces for the outside edge. For the pieces nearest the players we engraved the images of the pieces, and finished the top with dragon-engraved corner towers.

What’s the bonus you ask? The flip side is a cribbage board with a treasure map to the Isle of Lewis itself, with Celtic rosettes in the corners.

Hope you like it - please let me know what you think!

67 Likes

Wow this is a truly stunning piece! Congratulations on how amazing it turned out, beautiful design!

14 Likes

Wow! I love it, and it’s a much better use of materials cutting out the strips the way you did.

I would’ve taken the easy route and made a complete draftboard grid, then i would’ve been stuck with a bunch of random squares i would never use but wouldn’t throw away. I love the cut mdf color with the cherry and maple.

Well done!

19 Likes

Great use of the Glowforge.Beautiful results.

13 Likes

This is stunning and amazing. What wonderful work.

11 Likes

Excellent craftsmanship! Heirloom quality. :sunglasses:

12 Likes

That has a very nice look to it. Great job.

10 Likes

Beyond spectacular!!

4 Likes

The grid construction was inspired, nicely done with fantastic results!

8 Likes

That is absolutely awesome!!

8 Likes

It is gorgeous, a family treasure. I love the way you constructed it with the interlocking grid. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

8 Likes

That is beautiful work that will be appreciated by everyone. :blush:

8 Likes

Stunning, that’s what I think! That is definitely a beautiful board, and one I am sure your son thoroughly enjoys. I love the map and cribbage board as well. Super job, and a great write up on your method. I am sure you’re very proud of this, and you should be!

10 Likes

A beautiful project! Really enjoyed your write-up. What a treasure for your son.

3 Likes

Mind blown! Amazing work! Thank you for the details! :heart:

1 Like

This an absolutely fantastic work of art. Super job!

Amazing results

1 Like

The grid is great inspiration for many things beyond this. Great idea and execution!

4 Likes

Bonus side game and treasure map are a great addition to an already stunning piece.

2 Likes

Beautifully done! I like the way you did the lattice.