Issue with Catan file i got from Glowforge gifts keeps saying Filled shapes must have closed paths

I am a total noob and i have been researching this error [Filled shapes must have closed paths]. I downloaded all of the free Glowforge gifts and there was a Settlers of Catan gameboard in there. I successfully printed the first 5 pieces, but when i got to pdf 6 and pdf 7, everytime i upload the artwork and go to print, the print stops and gives me the error above. I tried to research and see how to fix issue. I brought file into Adobe Illustrator, but no luck i keep getting the issue. Any help would be super appreciated.

If anyone wanted to take a look at the file, if you go to apps.glowforge.com and login. You will see the gift up in the right corner. When i clicked on that , they had a bunch of free stuff for download. If you look at the 3rd thing down. Its the files i am having trouble with.

“What’s better family fun than being together? This beauty of a gameboard is perfect for that hours-long strategy and dice game you love! Download your Catan board.”

If anyone downloads it. The issues as i mentioned above are on
Catan006.pdf and
Catan007.pdf

Everything else prints fine.

Thanks
Jonathan

Yeah, there’s some weirdness going on in the vectors. If you rasterize them, they’ll print fine.

So i selected the whole picture and clicked rasterize in illustrator, and everything looks like it got distorted when i did that. Will it print in the nice detail before i hit rasterize or will it come out weird when printing. Sorry i am really new to this, i know photoshop really well and trying to understand illustrator and vectors better.

Thanks
Jonathan

I’m not an Illustrator user so I can’t really tell you anything for sure on that…I don’t know why it would distort when rasterizing, though. Maybe an AI user will pipe up with an explanation! Or you could try printing one at a smaller scale on some scrap just to see how it turns out…

1 Like

What do you mean by “distorted”? Did it get pixelated?

Try using a high def setting for it - at least 300 dpi. And set the background to transparent…it will turn it into a PNG file.

One thing…when you rasterize the file, do not select the outside cutline for inclusion in the raster image.

One additional thing…when you save the file as an SVG…be sure to use the correct settings for a file with a raster image in it…instructions are here:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for a detailed explanation. Really appreciate it.

Jonathan

3 Likes

So i followed all the steps above and after the rasterizing. The file got stripped of all the depths that were in the original file. So i printed and it only engraved and cut. It should have engraved and then burnt some layers out for different depths and then cut. Does rasterizing strip the original files details? Sorry to be a pain, i have printed most of the files without issue and now i am getting this issue which stinks cause i can’t complete the game board. Let me know if your or anyone has any ideas.

Thanks
Jonathan

There are two colors in the original file. If you group by color and then rasterize each group separately, you can then engrave with two different sets of settings and get the same effect. :slight_smile:

I am not to familiar with Adobe Illustrator, so i dont think i understand what your asking me to do. The original file does have 2 engrave settings. The question i have is i don’t want to change any way the original file was setup because one of the engrave settings is at a certain depth that it burns into the wood. If i was to seperate the file like you said and rasterize would that still keep original files settings. When i rasterized the first time it just engraved, instead of burning into the wood when it was supposed to. It cut the print time from 1:36 minutes to just 36 minutes.

If there was a way to pay you to help me out with this i would be more than happy to. I want to finish this board and this is the only piece holding me up . Let me know i can do through venmo, paypal if thats allowed.

Thanks
Jonathan

There aren’t any settings in the file; you just got default PG settings when you loaded it into the GFUI (Glowforge User Interface), so I’d be taking your money for nothing, since you already know how to rasterize. :slight_smile:

If the engrave didn’t go as deep with the rasterized file, then you’d need to either slow down the speed a little, or increase the power. You can experiment with the settings on some of your scraps until you get them how you want them. If you do two rasters, one for each of the color sets, then you’ll want to test settings for both of them to get them to look the way you want.

Here’s a link to a really handy test strip you can use for dialing in your settings on a particular material: Has anyone been cutting 0.37-0.40 material?

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.