It’s a tie!

I am so grateful to everyone here who has been supporting my “wooden tie” experiments. :wink:

I finally finished my 2nd son’s tie. It’s ebony with mother of pearl inlay on a living hinge base.

So three very different personalities, and three very different designs and skills used.

59 Likes

They are all three so wonderful! The new one is exquisite.

15 Likes

Nice!
I’ll be fascinated to know if the mother of pearl survives uncracked - I’d be terrified of breaking it!

15 Likes

So cool!!

10 Likes

Very nice!
If I may ask, how thick is the Nacre, and did it cut well?

14 Likes

These are really cool.

9 Likes

This is the kind I used. It has a 3M backing. (0.178mm) I had to prep the wood with a silver paint or else the wood was visible.

It cut ok at 200/45/x2 passes, but I still had to cut it free in a few places because of the glue.

12 Likes

Thank you! I think it looks almost “formal compared to the others (which is what I wanted) so I’m very happy!

8 Likes

I bought a “flexible” inlay…which means it is very thin and kind of “pre-cracked.” I had to prep the surface better because it is so thin you can see the wood grain behind it.

The bonus is that the tie, itself, remains flexible and the kind of cracking that would be damaging is not really a risk. Since the wood is a living hinge instead of many pieces, there’s a need to not “overbend” it in the design.

10 Likes

Very impressive; I wouldn’t even have imagined it would actually work!

9 Likes

Beautiful!

8 Likes

That might be some of the first (Gabon?)ebony I have seen here. Even expensive it is hard to find. I have a piece in my “when I have a design worthy” collection but it is the smallest in the batch.

9 Likes

I won’t believe those are ties until I see the guys wearing them. :laughing: Be sure to upload a photo!

9 Likes

Those are so fun! Best mom ever!

8 Likes

Wie! Nice!

8 Likes

Nice!

8 Likes

I will do that this Sunday!

5 Likes

Wow I was racking my brain trying to guess which temple you had on the right tie, I hadn’t seen your original post with it. I thought I had it with the Boise temple, but then I thought the Chicago temple might be the one. Couldn’t believe there were so many that look so similar, I’m too familiar with the more unique ones, but man, Dallas!

We moved to Bangkok two years ago and just got to go to the temple open house here the other day with some friends, I’ve certainly missed having one so nearby, so happy that the one here is going to be dedicated next month!

Very cool designs, I had always wanted to use some mother of pearl, maybe one day when we get back to stateside I’ll get around to it!

9 Likes

I know it’s a little late, but here’s my husband sporting the fancy tie in action at opening night for our local symphony!

13 Likes

That looks just perfect!

5 Likes