It's Alive!

No emails have arrived in my inbox or spam folder.

Apparently my upstream email provider flagged my account because of the sudden ‘surge’ in emails. I believe I have it resolved.

Try 'er again.

3 Likes

Working now. Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks! Also working for me.

1 Like

Nice, Trinamic’s are awesome!

Just wondering, was there any specific reason you chose GitLab over Github?

Slightly amusing, actually.

I needed ‘public/unsecured’ repositories to properly build the Yocto images (a downside to using Repo). But, every time I made any portion of the board support packages live on Github, someone would download it and try to build it - usually within minutes (a number of people opened tickets with build problems).

Well, they were nowhere near ready for public consumption, so I had to find a better way.

Now, the repository is actually hosted on my own server, just running the community edition of Gitlab. Not sure if I will stick with it, but I’ve kind of grown to like it.

5 Likes

I love Gitlab.

Aside from the the common obvious uses, I used it to store/backup my LinuxCNC config files. Especially handy after updates. You can go-to to the UI and look at all the diffs and back track any unwanted changes.

3 Likes

Well if you ever move over to Github I will push any changes I make upstream, until then I will maintain a public mirror over there to poke around in.

And if you need any help with setting up builds scripts that won’t need a “public” repo, I’ve spent a lot of time building CD systems.

I don’t dislike GitLab, I just prefer not to provide information to private servers that aren’t owned by a company I work for. I believe this is part of the reason we are both looking for ways to remove the dependency on Glowforge themselves. :slight_smile:

That’s pretty likely. I like the GitLab features and interface, but I’ll probably move it to GitHub mainly because that is was most people are familiar with.

It was more about sticking with the structure that Freescale uses for their Yocto BSPs. It’s a fairly common method that existing iMX6 developers are comfortable with and I didn’t feel like rocking the boat.

I am using private repos without issue for development portions of the project, but the base build package uses (and always should use) all public ones. It was the building/debug of the public elements that I wanted to put in an obscure place while I worked on them so as to not frustrate people who saw them on my Github and were trying to be early adopters :smiley:

2 Likes

I think that it is great that you are taking the lead on this subject. I would also like to see an open source development for the online app to implement all the wants of the general public. GF seem to have there hands full just getting production out and tweaking the app to do the minimal required to operate the unit. I would love to see development on a user app similar to that of CURA for 3D printers.

Personally I do not see GF surviving past a couple of years when the current pre-orders etc are completed. With the current high pricing and the GF’s current capability its just not worth the bucks.

So to make this a truly viable platform it really does need the ability to run without the cloud and for many more features to be added quickly to make this a truly capable machine.

Thanks for having the guts to attempt this. You have my respect.

1 Like

Speaking of which, @scott.wiederhold can you run LaserWeb as the control software for your new board? That’d provide an open source app that would address some of the issues raised about the GF app.

That’s the current plan.

2 Likes

Cool. Someday when I get to visit down under I’m going to take Peter out and get whackered but in the meantime I’ve sent him a fair number of beers electronically (via PayPal) so he would be inspired to continue his work.

Have you thought of providing a way for people to buy you a beer or offset some costs?

1 Like

Fabulous work!!!

Would you consider a license other than the GPL?

One of the Creative Commons variants that requires share back, etc, but doesn’t come with the political manifesto nature of the GPL?

I’ve found the GPL to be exceptionally toxic in the industry. A lot of my peers (myself included) won’t work on GPL projects exactly because of the toxicity.

1 Like

Glorious. Looks like a nice bodge board in there too.

I hadn’t actually put a lot of thought into it.

I’m not opposed to changing the licensing on my original work. I opened that topic for discussion on the OpenGlow forum.

Side effect of skimming datasheets a little too fast…

1 Like

So how do you actually interface with it to run a job? How do you place a job - in-file X/Y coordinates?

At the moment, you can’t. :blush: I am still running through hardware checkouts.

In the near future, though…

I plan to port over GRBL and use LaserWeb as the user interface.

Once I have the cameras operational, there’s a possibility that I may use the emulator I wrote to interface it with Glowforge’s cloud so you could use the GFUI concurrently with whatever other interfaces the community comes up.

2 Likes