It's still awesome!

We will be at Sapphire Falls for 10 days and have 5 days of park passes. We have family in FL, so the rest of the time will be spent with them. My wife and I have not been to Universal since the first section of the Harry Potter themed area was opened. We had been doing the Disney stuff (FL and CA) because the kids were younger and that is better suited. They are now old enough to get the most out of Universal, so this will be their first time and should be quite an experience for them.

Have a great time! Post up when you get backā€¦

3 Likes

Wooow! The wand box is a really nice job! Well done!

1 Like

That wand box is top notch. Iā€™m going to universal for the first time in December. Whenever my glowforge arrives Iā€™m going to be making a wall mounted wand rack for my wand. This week Iā€™m starting a remodel on my bedroom that is all Harry potter themedā€¦soooo. Iā€™m ready to get this glowforge and get crafting!

1 Like

Very nice! My daughter worked at HP World in LA for more than a year and has a collection of wands ( she quit to go to programming boot camp). Once my GF arrives, a wand holder is on the listā€¦now I just might have to make her a box. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That brick etching is something I never thought possible. Now, I want to do a giant mural of something for my yard, all in brick!

2 Likes

This is magical! You definitely give Ollivander a run for his money as far as wand boxes go.

1 Like

The wand box is incredible!

1 Like

This is astonishingly wonderful. I had to call my hubs over to look at it. I really hope you consider selling the de-branded design.

2 Likes

Update! Wife and kids got their wands at Ollivandersā€¦

31 Likes

So beautiful! The boxes just round it out perfectly!:grinning:

2 Likes

So lovely. Your designs are always elegant.

2 Likes

Gorgeous! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I love these! I would love to make these on my glowforge. Did you buy the design, or did you make it? I will happily buy the design off of you if you are willing to sell it.
Thanks!

1 Like

This is absolutely amazing! What software did you use to design this?

1 Like

It is my own design. I will send you a private message shortly.

Thanks! I use AutoCAD for the majority of my designs.

Do you have any tip or advice in regards to making a sliding lid? Iā€™m getting ready to try and make a box with a similar lid and just curious if there is a recommended way to go about it. Beautiful work!

I did one and I just ran a few test engraves at different power settings on a scrap of the intended material until I dialed in the right setting.
You can also lubricate the slot and lid edge with wax or bar soap for a smooth operation.

1 Like

The gap height is pretty easy, I just used the width of the Proofgrade and the kerf added enough extra clearance for easy operation. The score depth I agree with @PrintToLaser , it was trial and error. I did get lucky and found a value for a good fit rather quickly.

2 Likes

The last two posts provide the how, this one a helpful reminder: if youā€™re going to glue the box together 1) test the lid fit before gluing. Remember that the dry fitting (and the gluing) of the box have to be square. It is very easy to dry fit and/or glue the box just a tad not square. This makes a hug impact on how well your lid fits. 2) if you glue with your lid in place, slide it around while the glue is drying. A small drop of glue is the difference between a solid object de art and a box.

2 Likes