It's turtles all the way down

OK the post title is more clever than the project, it’s a box. But how awesome is it when your wife comes home from work and says “one of the techs needs a donation box for a project they are doing for saving sea turtles in mexico” and you can whip one out in under an hour to completed project. Apparently they are going to mexico for a free spay/neuter clinic and while they are there wanted to do something for the sea turtles with a local rescue agency. So off to OnShape (next time I will just edit the artwork and keep the box) mechanicals. I wanted to put the sign on the back plate so had that stick up and then got some cool free-tattoo artwork of a sea turtle. I got a Mayan font off DaFont.com (https://www.dafont.com/mayan2.font) and then did the artwork in Illustrator. It’s engraved in :proofgrade: Medium Maple Plywood.

Box with banana for scale

Detail of engrave of the turtle

28 Likes

Nice design! :grinning:

2 Likes

Here is the file (minus the artwork if someone quickly needs a donation box and isn’t CAD handy). Cut for 1/8" plywood (proof grade or otherwise)

donation box.zip (3.7 KB)

For those unfamiliar you can add artwork on top to personalize this box. And feel free to engrave across one of the holes like I did for the cash slot. It’s not a problem since during the cut the cut out piece is still there, so you aren’t engraving down onto the honeycomb…

10 Likes

Oh, and you are wondering how you empty the box? The left side of the box is simply friction-fit in so unlike the other sides which are CA glued the left side just fits in very snugly!

6 Likes

It’s gorgeous! I hope it pulls in lots of cash. And thanks for the box design!

2 Likes

Clever…it wouldn’t be fun to have to smash it open like a ceramic piggy bank.:smirk:

3 Likes

Nice box and design. Thank you for the file.

1 Like

Wow! Very nice for a quick turn around project! Hope they do well on donations.

Thank you for the file! Very kind of you!

2 Likes