I've made a lot, but here is my first share - Perpetual Calendar

calendar4

I had a lot of fun making this file. I roughly followed the design of a perpetual calendar I received a long time ago from my grandmother. I almost made the mistake of just putting 1-6 on each block and then realized I had forgotten 0, and 7, 8, 9, blah blah. All the pieces are snugly fit, had to use a hammer to lightly hammer them together, so no glue was necessary. I’m rather proud of it. I’ve made a lot of other item already but this one makes me think of grandma.

1/8" plywood (mix of bass and maple, as that was all I had left over)
Approximately 176 square inches of material
Designed on Illustrator, about 2 hours of messing around
Utilized MakerCase.com to get some of the boxes started

34 Likes

Your grandma would be proud! Thanks for sharing your cool project.

3 Likes

You’re going to make me cry, thank you!

I think it turned out lovely! It’s nice to make something that triggers memories.

1 Like

Thank you very much. It really was a fun project!

1 Like

I don’t suppose you have a pic of the original?

@evansd2 sure do!
IMG_20190916_190628

7 Likes

Neat! I received a similar calendar several years ago

Last year (pre-GF) I used it as a prototype for an elective makers class with 9-11 year olds and had them design their own. Their designs included a tree with nests holding the “date eggs”, a turntable with a vinyl 45, and a flying dragon clutching small people. That last one was conceptually good but difficult to make happen. :slight_smile:
Here is the one I made. I call it my Cthulu calendar.

There are nuts in the eye stems, and bolts on the eyes so I can change where it looks.

Now the wheels are spinning about how to incorporate the GF to this project this year. Thanks for the inspiration!

3 Likes

Wonderful testament to the original. Thanks for the share!

1 Like