I've made a lot, but here is my first share - Perpetual Calendar

I had a lot of fun making this file. I roughly followed the design of a perpetual calendar I received a long time ago from my grandmother. I almost made the mistake of just putting 1-6 on each block and then realized I had forgotten 0, and 7, 8, 9, blah blah. All the pieces are snugly fit, had to use a hammer to lightly hammer them together, so no glue was necessary. I’m rather proud of it. I’ve made a lot of other item already but this one makes me think of grandma.

1/8" plywood (mix of bass and maple, as that was all I had left over)
Approximately 176 square inches of material
Designed on Illustrator, about 2 hours of messing around
Utilized MakerCase.com to get some of the boxes started

42 Likes

Your grandma would be proud! Thanks for sharing your cool project.

3 Likes

You’re going to make me cry, thank you!

I think it turned out lovely! It’s nice to make something that triggers memories.

1 Like

Thank you very much. It really was a fun project!

1 Like

I don’t suppose you have a pic of the original?

@evansd2 sure do!

7 Likes

Neat! I received a similar calendar several years ago

Last year (pre-GF) I used it as a prototype for an elective makers class with 9-11 year olds and had them design their own. Their designs included a tree with nests holding the “date eggs”, a turntable with a vinyl 45, and a flying dragon clutching small people. That last one was conceptually good but difficult to make happen. :slight_smile:
Here is the one I made. I call it my Cthulu calendar.

There are nuts in the eye stems, and bolts on the eyes so I can change where it looks.

Now the wheels are spinning about how to incorporate the GF to this project this year. Thanks for the inspiration!

3 Likes

Wonderful testament to the original. Thanks for the share!

1 Like

how do I save this so I can make one?

Not possible, I’m afraid. You will have to design it yourself. This section of the forum is for people to show off their own work. Asking people for their files go against the community guidelines.

If you are looking for designs that you can download, head over to the Free section here:

1 Like

Thanks for your interest but I’m not selling nor giving away the file.

Thanks for enlightening me

1 Like