Japanese alphabet blocks

恥ずかしいな〜 :sweat_smile:

I think I might have carried that typo over from one of my textbooks or other learning resources, but I don’t remember which now. Actually, I plan to redo at least one block anyway, since I didn’t realize until after cutting that my autocorrect turned the romaji hint for tsu into “tau”. So I guess I’ll find another good word and picture for ウ, too.

Thanks! So do we.

1 Like

We finally got around to that. (Which helps them get played with, too, because her favorite way to play with the hiragana blocks is to dump them out, and then come up with some scheme for arranging them back in.)

The box is a new experiment: extra deep engrave along the top edges of the side to make a little shelf for a (carefully measured) lid to sit on, plus a little thumb hole to help take the lid out. The box is the same :proofgrade: thick maple plywood as the blocks, and the lid is :proofgrade: medium clear acrylic.

Daughter picked a design to engrave/score on the lid. (All using the clip art built into the Premium GFUI trial.)

9 Likes

My father was born here in 1918, but his mother took him back to France a year or two later. When he came back, he spoke no English. He said his first day at school was his introduction to English! As he got older it worked to his advantage - the school staff would ask him to translate when his mother or grandmother would come to school. He could keep himself out of trouble by judicious editing of what the staff and his mother were “saying.”

2 Likes