Jewelry Box

A jewelry box for a friend’s partner who just changed their name. Walnut and aspen with Bloodwood monogram. Made with 1/8" hardwood (thus the screw backing bits in the lid/box) 7x10 inches. 5 inches deep with the lid.

54 Likes

Beautiful inlay work!

3 Likes

Just gorgeous!

3 Likes

Nice work.

I assume your lid is 2 layers deep? Or did you use veneers for your inlay?

Mind sharing your source on the aspen? I like the uniformity, might be a fun alternative to my go-to maple for light inlay work.

3 Likes

Yes! It’s 1/8" deep, backed with 1/16" aspen (why the underside of the lid is brighter).

Happy to share my source, since I learned about it on this forum! https://ocoochhardwoods.com

5 Likes

Ah I either didn’t know or forgot Ocooch does aspen. I’ll keep it in mind, their stuff is pretty high quality.

How’d you finish the wood?

That piece looks really great! Are you going to make trays to go inside it?

2 Likes

I love the inlay and the grain! great work!

3 Likes

A ton of sanding and then tung oil.

3 Likes

I offered, but friend said she was going to get a premade insert for it.

2 Likes

I’m in love with the chatoyance in the figuring on the front. Just lucked out.

4 Likes

I had originally purchased 600 & 1200 & 2000 grit sandpaper for sharpening carving tools but discovered that on hard woods that will not have a layer of lacquer on them the result is amazing both in look and feel

5 Likes

Yep! A lot of what I do with wood involves stuff that isn’t going to get a varnish/poly coating. So I sand it to within an inch of its life and get some amazing shine. Depending I’ll go up as high as 7 or 10k grit.

2 Likes

Do you do that manually? Your box is just beautiful. I wish I had the patience for sanding and finishing, that’s where I lose interest and just want it to be done already :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is like knitting. It does not take the attention that other stuff might. So as I need to let the pain in my back go down I can watch a movie and also sand at the same time,

3 Likes

The top is very intricate and gorgeous. Excellent work.

3 Likes

Lucky friend - that is a beautiful piece!

3 Likes

Lovely finish.

3 Likes

This is a beautiful piece of work. I wish I could “admire” the wood with my fingers.

5 Likes

Omigosh…that is perfectly lovely. What a wonderful gift.

3 Likes