Jewelry Box

The top is very intricate and gorgeous. Excellent work.

3 Likes

Lucky friend - that is a beautiful piece!

3 Likes

Lovely finish.

3 Likes

This is a beautiful piece of work. I wish I could “admire” the wood with my fingers.

5 Likes

Omigosh…that is perfectly lovely. What a wonderful gift.

3 Likes

Really gorgeous! They are going to love it!

2 Likes

I did the 400 and 1000 grit sanding with a handheld sander, then cleanup and the screw backings all with my hand and paper. For the bulk of my work I do it all by hand, because it’s not flat/large enough for a sander.

It takes patience, but it’s meditative so it also creates patience. Like many handcrafts.

5 Likes

Thanks! I chose the tung oil finish so that you could still feel the wood.

1 Like

Great parallel. Very much like many handcrafts in that way. Meditative. Like knitting, or spinning, or certain kinds of weaving.

3 Likes

For those who think in those terms; the act of such meditation imparts a piece of yourself that those with senses trained can see in the result, I might not have had credence to that but I decided to test a girlfriend by handing her a stack of 50 turquoise stones, two of which had been polished by hand by a woman traveling with her truck-driving SO and the rest by machine . I could not have easily found which ones they were, but she found them right away and further claimed that the girl did a lot of LSD and that was also in the stones.

I could not, of course, verify the drugs but considering, it was not beyond possible, but to pick them out of the pile would not have been probable by looking at them carefully which she did not,

4 Likes

VERY nice! The screw caps were the first thing to catch my eye; very elegant result.

3 Likes

Huh?

Gorgeous!

Well that is really nice work.

2 Likes

Necessity is the mother of invention! How do you attach hinges to something only 1/8" thick when you want it to be more durable than glue?

1 Like

Hmmm! You have me thinking thin shim stock folded 180 degrees. A jeweler’s saw making tabs for a thin bronze wire, or even several short pieces. That way the hinge is grabbing on both sides and a tiny bolt or even just CA glue would hold it in place. Rotate it out and you also have a latch :thinking:

That would also work!

1 Like

beautiful!

1 Like

I used leather.

The flexibility of the leather prevents too much abrupt torque on the screws, it seems to have held up well so far.

2 Likes

I had to read that one a few times before I could get it right. I somehow missed the “not” after the words “I could” and threw me for a loop! :flushed::flushed::joy::joy:

1 Like